WW1 British Badge Belt.

Norrie

Hiya, Had a mate on the phone this afternoon, asking if I'd like to accept this WW1 belt that used to belong to his grandfather, he fought in and survived the Great War....main reason for him giving me the belt,  is moving home, and it's lain in his garage for the last 15 years!!! so, it's winging its way to me from Glasgow tomorrow evening....

Think it's a 1908 pattern belt...:) 

badgebelt3.jpg

badgebelt1.jpg

badgebelt2.jpg

badgebelt4.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hi @Norrie

Wow what a fantastic item, make sure you get the soldiers name and all the information you can on his service life.

D

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie

Wow what a fantastic item, make sure you get the soldiers name and all the information you can on his service life.

D

Thanks @DAK D I feel rather honoured to be given this belt..I've read about such things being done by the Tommy's during WW1, but never seen one........tho, the family left it in a garage for 15 years, it obviously still means something to them........all the info is being written down for me,Regiment etc etc... I'm going to try and  research him for the family...:)

Isn't this a fantastic hobby??? :) 

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

Oh, And they are getting copies for me of their photos  of him in his uniform  too...:)

• Upvote 2

• Major General

1908 pattern utility belt, without the rear buckles and straps.some nice badges on it too.nice gift!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie,

If it is not an issue can you post everything you find out about him on this thread please mate?

D

It def wont be an issue @DAK D, the family have agreed to me making a wee "display" on him...and are going to assist with anything they can...:)

24 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

1908 pattern utility belt, without the rear buckles and straps.some nice badges on it too.nice gift!

Am very happy with it @Bil4338, I knew they had it, and had no clue i was going to be offered it...:) 

Are the straps the ones that go over the shoulders...?? :)

Edited by Norrie

• Field Marshall

Superb... Don't ever be tempted to remove the badges, some people do and it ruins the history... ?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mav352 said:

Nice belt @Norrie I look forwards to seeing what can be found out about it and it's original  owner. :)

Thanks @Mav352, it's being brought over tomorrow now, and I'm away to Nottingham for a few days in the morning...so, will have to wait till I get home to see it in the flesh....:(

16 hours ago, Lenny said:

Superb... Don't ever be tempted to remove the badges, some people do and it ruins the history... ?

@Lenny ha !!, you lot have trained me better than that ....:)

• Upvote 1

• Major General
23 hours ago, Norrie said:

Are the straps the ones that go over the shoulders...?? :)

The short straps are for the haversack, entrenching tool and waterbottle carrier, located just beneath the buckles, which take the support straps which go over the shoulders.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

The short straps are for the haversack, entrenching tool and waterbottle carrier, located just beneath the buckles, which take the support straps which go over the shoulders.

Excellent, Thanks @Bil4338....:)

On 01/09/2016 at 19:39, Lenny said:

This drives me bat-jobby crazy. I have a similar belt put together by a Canadian Soldier in WWI. The moron who sent it to me took all the badges off the belt to photograph them, then sent me the belt abd loose badges. 

• Upvote 1

On 03/09/2016 at 16:47, pylon1357 said:

This drives me bat-jobby crazy. I have a similar belt put together by a Canadian Soldier in WWI. The moron who sent it to me took all the badges off the belt to photograph them, then sent me the belt abd loose badges. 

Arghhhhhh.......?

3 minutes ago, Norrie said:

@DAK D, @Fred Karno's Army..The lad that gifted me this belt is coming over later in the week, with photos of his grandfather and any details he has of his service...:)

Hi @Norrie,

i look forward to viewing the photos and reading the information you have found out about this WW1 British soldier.

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

Me too @DAK D, I'm also getting his permission ( as his grandads immediate relative) to apply for his service record....he was'nt that interested till he saw my "collection" of militaria, now, he's getting keen on finding out what his grandad got up to in the Great War........:)

Edited by Norrie

Just now, Norrie said:

Me too @DAK D, I'm also getting his permission ( as his immediate relative) to apply for his service record....he was'nt that interested till he saw my "collection" of militaria, now, he's getting keen on finding out what his grandad got up to in the Great War........:)

Hi @Norrie

That is great news :)

D

• Upvote 1