Ammo box disaster - But I think it turned out ok....

Steve T

Well, it had to happen sometime! I am very sorry to report that I have had a disaster when trying to remove rust from an ammo box with original paint and stencil. I used what I always do, citric acid solution, and tested it on a small painted area, like I always do, for 2 hours. Result was great on the test area with all rust removed and paint intact. So, I submerged the whole box and left it to cook. When I returned a few hours later I discovered the paint on the stencil side had COMPLETELY lifted off.....IN ONE SHEET! Never seen anything like it......

Picture included of the box before any work (the one on the right in the pic).

So, I had ruined my original Vickers ammo box, bought that very same day from The Victory Show. I had a choice......leave it as is or strip the thing right down and re-paint.

After much internal debate and weighing up pros and cons, I chose the latter. See what you think. Even gone over it and applied rust spots to it to make it less 'new'. I have also now done precisely what I wanted to do with it before the disaster, place my 250 round Vickers belt (made up of ground dug cartridges and bullets married back together.....full 250 belt of ww2 dated 303s... :):) ) in it.

I paid £15 for the box and a tenner on the paint, and cut the stencil myself. Whilst disappointed to have had to restore it, I am happy with what I now have. :)

vickers box.jpg

DSC_4182.JPG

DSC_4184.JPG

DSC_4180.JPG

DSC_4185.JPG

DSC_4186.JPG

• Upvote 2

The rust monster obviously took revenge on you this time, and there are obviously some paints that have an adverse effect when dipped in citric acid, do you think its because most paints at that time were lead based and perhaps only received one coat??

• Upvote 1

No idea Dave. It was very strange as only one face of the box was affected, no paint was removed from any of the other faces........I had to remove the paint from those sides with the drill plus wire brush attachment.

Lenny, the white metal ones are used inside armoured vehicles. They used brown plywood H51 pattern wooden boxes for storage/transport.

303ammobox_T.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Good question Lenny and a good answer Dan....You have all enlightened me again.....You are some Smart Collectors...You Don't Get This Quality of Knowledge on any Other Websites....Well Done....MCN

Steve....You made a Great job of the ammo box......Is there a reason to use citric acid, is this the best remedy to remove rust, and where do you buy such an amount to submerge an item that needs de-corroding, do you use just the acid...or is it just painted on the rust parts?

The reason I ask is that I have many WW1 top cannister's for the stick grenade, to remove the severe corrosion and thought the idea sent to me was the best ...now I am unsure, except for MCN member Pete sent me images of the one he bought from me....Before & After.....and it came up Superb!...Thanks for your reply....Desert Rat.

Have a Great Festive Season and a Safe & Peaceful 2017...To You & ALL Your Family...!

DSC_0002.JPG

PETE SODA CLEAN 002.jpg

• Upvote 1