At last....but where the **** will I put it??!

Bil4338

• Major General

I've finally managed to get one....the elusive (to me anyway) USN MK.2 talker helmet....with comms equipment, bulkhead fitting an' all....though I gather the gear's had a bit of modification over the years, probably postwar repurposing.missing the slotted metal tabs for the neck strap.....and instead of the plug for the shipboard fitting, a telephone handset's been fitted.dunno if that's wartime or postwar, any info gratefully received!....anyway, pics....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

If you have,nt got space for it, I know where it would go in my place,,, just send it and we,ll call it quits9_9

The telephone looks period to me as a shipboard model... you could try unscrewing the receiver and speaker ,there might be a serial no/ and a date

• Upvote 1

An absolute cracker of a buy @Bil4338...LOVE it mate..:x...and if no room..it can sit with my helmets till you build yer extension ...no need to thank me...I'm only too glad to help...I'll even drive to you to collect...9_9

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Yep, I'm pleased with it.Ive researched the set up and see that there are a couple of variations which makes me think the 'phone sets a later conversion.there are at least two types of headphones, of which my examples one, and a probably original setup of a jack plug which I assume fits into the bulkhead fitting instead of the phone.having said that, there are probably several different combinations according to the on-board purpose.

this is worthy of more detailed research methinks....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

You need a turret off the mighty mo :).

@Fred Karno's Army I'm visiting the USS Ohio in Longbeach soon, I'll see if they have a spare turret going cheap...:)

23 hours ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

You doing the QM and Sprucegoose mate ?

Def the QM...I was meant to travel to the US on her in 1968...but, things happened and it didnt occur, so want to see what I missed...no idea

about the Spruce Goose tho...thats in the lap of the gods....i.e. my family...:)