Dalbeattie museum

Bil4338

• Major General

A couple of days ago, whilst on our trip, we stopped into a small local museum.it has a ton of 'old stuff' from shop items, to farm/domestic appliances and small machinery to militaria in the upstairs displays.there's also a display relating to the Titanic, whose first officer hailed from the town.some of you might recall some controversy regarding this man as portrayed in the film/movie.he was portrayed as a coward, whereas in reality, he was something of a hero, so the townsfolk were less than impressed with the movie studio at the time it was released.alas, some items had had to be removed from public display due to some small-minded village idiot complaining about a Nazi flag and a Jewish armband from Belsen.A Lee Enfield rifle was also in storage due to some minor hassle.the museum is self supporting and relies on donations, of which there have been numerous examples.its a great wee afternoon out if anyone's in the area.on the Main Street heading out of Dalbeattie.

anway, some pics to follow, as they're on my phone.....!!

• Upvote 2

Great little display with some good conditioned items, I have the morse and signal light in its box with the metal poles for the light, look closely ,,you will see a small cross under the light... that is the sighting reticule, there should also be different filters for the light in a side compartment

• Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It's like an Aladdins cave,I love some of these smaller personal museams they can have some real gems,and it's fantastic that they are willing to share them :).

Just now, Davejb said:

Great little display with some good conditioned items, I have the morse and signal light in its box with the metal poles for the light, look closely ,,you will see a small cross under the light... that is the sighting reticule, there should also be different filters for the light in a side compartment

Yep, A great display, and not too far from us....mibbes a wee trip down one weekend...:)

@Davejb, Theres a Morse lamp c/w box, legs and filters on sale on the bay, for not a lot of money...I did think about it for myself...:)

Well this is only the second one I,ve seen in 20yrs since I got mine, they are a neat little item and I managed to get mine working but the bulb gave out after a couple of years, I think a scout around for a similar modern bulb would have it working again, you just have to be careful about voltage and batteries

• Upvote 1

Are we allowed to put the link for it on here?? dont want the "wrath" being brought down on me...the one for sale, has everything except a battery, and looks a great item...its cheap as chips too...def a museum pice IMHO...:)

• Upvote 1

• Major General

...and they've got two of them, greedy beggars!

some nice (and scarce) items in there too.I was speaking to the old guy who volunteers that day, he did his national service with the Scots Dragoon Guards.very interesting little chat, great to meet an old timer like that.we talked about the exhibits in depth and I told him about the MCN....he was rather thrilled when I told him I'd put up pics on here for all to see.the museum has its own Facebook page too, search Dalbeattie museum.

• Upvote 2

• Field Marshall

Nice museum, maybe a MCN local chapter day out? ;)

Would be nice to add these to the gallery with web links etc???

On 11/09/2016 at 12:43, Norrie said:

Are we allowed to put the link for it on here?? dont want the "wrath" being brought down on me...the one for sale, has everything except a battery, and looks a great item...its cheap as chips too...def a museum pice IMHO...:)

Link to what @Norrie??? The museum, no issues with that obviously..

Where I used to live,,In Tottenham there is a small museum called Bruce Castle Museum,, among the displays there were a number of WW2 and Korean items. among which was a German switchboard that was taken from a building . It has all the names of the High rankers in the Third Reich, including Goring,Himmler,Gobels,Yodle,Ribbentrop,Speer,Boorman, and of course Hitler, there were other Generals names on the board, it was complete with all the plugs,wiring, headphones, mouthpiece etc,  there were also numerous documents ,letters, all embossed with the adler. Also a captured PPSH from the Korean war. I used to love just browsing around there as a kid. The museum is still active but I have,nt been there in years. There is also a ghost of a women from the middle ages who threw herself off the tower when her husband locked her away.Thousands of people have seen the "White Lady" including me. You see her on a dark night when she falls from the tower and just vanishes before she hits the ground, its quite a spooky thing to see and its been the subject of countless investigations.Another interesting feature of the Castle is that there is a tunnel that leads all the way up to where Alexandra Palace is situated, It has had quite a few organisations try and excavate the tunnel to try and make it all the way to the palace but there are numerous cave ins and its too dangerous  to attempt to try now. During the war a few Italian POWS tried to escape via the tunnel from the Palace,but never made it and had to return.Its amazing what history you can learn from your home towns

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Nice museum, maybe a MCN local chapter day out? ;)

Would be nice to add these to the gallery with web links etc???

Link to what @Norrie??? The museum, no issues with that obviously..

I think he means a link to that signal lamp for sale he has seen on eBay @Lenny ?.

• Field Marshall
4 hours ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

I think he means a link to that signal lamp for sale he has seen on eBay @Lenny ?.

I'm fine if it goes on the " on the t'internet" page. I'm pretty chilled to be honest. ;)

• Upvote 1