Chassepot Bayonet info and advice please.

Norrie

Hiya, Just bought my first ( of many) bayonet, it's a Chassepot.

Now, I bought it thinking the scabbard numbers matched with the numbers on the bayonet itself...BUT, I need to go to Specsavers...9_9

Could some kind soul give me any info on the bayonet?? i.e. @Fred Karno's Army @Bil4338 @Mark K When it was made etc...there is a date on it, but not too sure if that's the "type" date or the blade date...and what or who is the name? on the top of the blade..??
.All I can really find is the Wiki thingy stuff...

The blade is immaculate, and doesnt look to ever have been sharpened...also, as the numbers dont match...does that detract awfully from the value?? In fact, what would the value of this be?? did i get a bargain?? 

Thanks in advance guys.

100_0314.JPG

100_0313.JPG

100_0312.JPG

100_0311.JPG

100_0310.JPG

100_0309.JPG

100_0308.JPG

100_0307.JPG

100_0305.JPG

100_0302.JPG

100_0301.JPG

100_0299.JPG

100_0298.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

The different numbers will affect the value to a bayonet collector but shouldn't be an issue if you're keeping it!

beautiful blade too btw...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

The different numbers will affect the value to a bayonet collector but shouldn't be an issue if you're keeping it!

beautiful blade too btw...

Yeah, Thought that....BUT, I'm holding onto it ...for now...and yep, the blade is amazingly clean..their was a guy selling scabbard less ones last week at the boot sale, for £30...all had been messed around with, grinding wheels etc etc...I didnt pay much more for this one...so, very happy......:D

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Used to see tons of these at the Barras back in the day, all rusted and tarnished usually.didnt fancy them then, but they have a certain olde worlde charm to them....

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, DAK D said:

Hi @Norrie,

I would be very happy with it too :)

D

I paid little money for it, in fact, I left a ( too high) bid and won it...:) 

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Hello, your bayonet was made at the manufacture imperiale in Chatellerault in July 1870, that what is hand-written on the blade (abbreviated text), I love these stylish details with french bayonets of this era, pity it is not matching Nr, these are fairly cheap actually, 50 USD or so, but they are beautiful bayonets and good weapons! I love their yatagan shape (better lookin' than the rifle of the same name IMO...), mine was made in Tulle factory in 1870...some were also made in Klingenthal (Alsace) but they are harder to find...pls note that the frog on the pics attached is not french, but swiss, not correct but the swiss frog is very easy to find, cheap, and fits perfectly...  

Bayonet Chassepot 1870 manufacture d'armes deTulles (3).JPG

Bayonet Chassepot 1870 manufacture d'armes deTulles (5).JPG

Bayonet Chassepot 1870 manufacture d'armes deTulles (10).JPG

• Upvote 1