Removing felt tip/permanent marker from woolen blanket?

konzertmeister

Greetings,

I recently received an original issue blanket from a dealer. However when it arrived I found there to be a number scrawled in black felt tip/permanent marker pen on it, which was unknown to me at the time of purchase. 

The blanket is in otherwise nice condition with it's original tag. I have the option to return but this has associated problems, leaving me out of pocket and without a blanket in my collection.

Is there a way to remove this mark without effecting the wool or it's colour? 

Best wishes,
Nathan

14360295_145861519200032_1121806774_o.jpg

The problem with permanent ink is that its either oil or alcohol based and is known as a "carrier", its not water soluable and there are very few "cures" that can remove it without damaging the actual dye in the wool, or leaving a residue of staining or "bleeding", Dry cleaning might help but again it may harm the woollen material with the type of detergents that may have to be applied. Is it really worth it??,  secondly are you completely certain its permanent ink, has the item been washed either before or after it was obtained

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings Dave,
I'm not sure whether or not the ink is permanent, it could certainly be a non permanent ink. I'm guessing the mark was made between the 1950's and 1990's. The dye used to produce the blanket may not be colour fast, modern cleaning agents could very well take the colour out. What gentle cleaning could I try assuming the ink is non permanent? The ink hasn't got a strong colour to it, it's a little bit faded out. 

I would try a damp cloth with just water, see if the ink comes off on the cloth, if it does then you might get away with a cool wash in a machine, without losing the dye from the blanket, although it must be well absorbed by now and should hold fast 

• Like 1