And now for something Compleeeetley different.

Norrie

Hi Guys, found this in a little shop in town this afternoon, and bought it...:)

Its reputed to be a US Marine Corps Security Guards Helmet Liner, worn by a guard at Camp Hensen nr Okinawa Japan. It was bought ( reputedly) from the wearer...

Any thoughts?? ideas, comments?? All are very welcome, as I know absolutely nothing about it...I just saw it, liked it and took a wee punt on it..:D 

Can anyone date the liner for me??

It's quite a small size, i'm a 59-60 and it sits on the top of my head...could a Japanese guy have worn it???

100_0353.JPG

100_0347.jpg

100_0346.JPG

100_0345.JPG

100_0343.jpg

100_0342.JPG

100_0341.jpg

100_0340.JPG

100_0339.jpg

100_0338.JPG

100_0336.JPG

100_0335.jpg

• Upvote 1

I dont think it was worn by anyone other than a USMC service man, I think Bil might be your best bet here, I think he,s got a list of makers and dates and it depends on the interior webbing type as well

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Davejb said:

I dont think it was worn by anyone other than a USMC service man, I think Bil might be your best bet here, I think he,s got a list of makers and dates and it depends on the interior webbing type as well

Hiya @Davejb, hes commented on the FB page thingy...seems its a mid WW2 liner...made by Mine safety Appliances ( MSA)  , then painted after the war to be used as an MP's helmet for use later...I cant confirm the Japanese link with the liner, I only know what the seller told me... ...but it does seem feasible...and my cousin in the US, just found almost exactly the same painted liner, documented as an MP one...so....hopefully that's what it is...:D Really very happy with it too...and it wasnt expensive...:D

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

My dad bought me a liner many years ago, and I had it for a long time. One afternoon we went to the American war graves cemetary in Cambridge. I was looking at the list of names and their service numbers on the wall and noticed a number which rang a bell. We had the liner in the car so I went back to get it. There was a service number that matched the one on the wall written in ink inside the liner. It related to this man who was killed on Omaha beach on D-Day. I had the liner for years but gave it to my nephew as he had started to collect WW2 items. His mother, my sister decided it was taking up space in his room and threw it out in the garbage. Unfortunately that is my sisters take on precious items like that, even to this day. No wonder we dont talk

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Jeez...don't you just hate folk like that...sheer idiocy....

yep @Norrie, Mine Safety Appliances are one of the rarer makers, so you deffo won a watch there...all original and complete, green A washers and all, headband, khaki webbing, everything you want in a WW2 liner.take a look under the chinstrap buckle, on the rivet...should read 'United Carr'...I bet that would sell for well over a hundred bucks over the pond! in fact, I've a similar MSA MP liner winging its way to me from Denmark as we speak....£29 plus postage, bargain! I'll post it here when it arrives.

• Upvote 1

Bil, just to really get you going, I had a SS snipers camo anorak complete with arm eagle, arm pads, cross over ties at the neck and tight wrist bands. I gave it to my nephew along with a nice looking German helmet, the helmet ended up in the bin and the jacket was used by my brother in law to go fishing in, minus the arm eagle which was also thrown away. When my brother in laws father died they both went into the attic to clear out everything. he was a Para at Arnhem, among all the items there were his uniform , jump smock, belt and 37 webbing, a commando knife, para helmet with scrim and a 9mm Browning pistol which was loaded and the holster. Everything was binned except the pistol which was taken to the police, the commando knife was used for fishing to cut up luncheon meat. They both knew that I collected these types of items but just did,nt bother. Although my nephew ,who is now a married man with children still has two SS collar tabs that he will eventually return when he can find them

• Upvote 1

• Major General

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>:(>:(>:(:o

:o:o:S:S:S>:(>:(>:(

....now that really boils ma piss...

8 hours ago, Norrie said:

@Bil4338....No Bill, it says A raymond RG??

100_0354.JPG

Not seen that one Norrie.maybe a rarity?

• Upvote 1

• Major General

My latest addition in this am...

added the chinstrap as it was missing one, probably postwar Belgian or perhaps even US.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>:(>:(>:(:o

:o:o:S:S:S>:(>:(>:(

....now that really boils ma piss...

Not seen that one Norrie.maybe a rarity?

LOL...Well, as you know @Bil4338 I'm not too "up to scratch" with these things...so, have no idea mate....I've done a google, but not a single thing came up.....:)