DAK/TROPICAL BELT AND BUCKLE #2

Manu Della Valle

This set is another true veteran and like many other pieces in my collection comes from the Italian Front.It's been found 30 or so years ago near Rome and as @Lenny has rightly pointed out,that's what purists would call it a "true tropical" set in that the buckle tab is made of webbing!I'm always wary of "puris" because quite often it rhymes with "nazis"!
Cheers
Manu

P9181375.JPG

P9181376.JPG

P9181373.JPG

P9181371.JPG

P9181369.JPG

P9181367.JPG

P9181366.JPG

P9181364.JPG

P9181365.JPG

P9181363.JPG

P9181362.JPG

P9181370.JPG

P9181377.JPG

P9181360.JPG

P9181359.JPG

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

• Field Marshall

That's a superb example, just how I like them... Make mark under the prong bar? Maybe GB41?

• Like 1

• Field Marshall
1 hour ago, regiment739 said:

The eagle looks more like a Haarmann buckle than a Gustav Brehmer

Did they not mark them @regiment739?

Hi @Manu Della Valle,

Thank you for sharing this tropical set I really like it. The belt is a second type that dates to 1942

I agree it's not a Gustav  Brehmer, as the eagles details are not the same. :)

D

1 - Copy.JPG

1.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Just an observation. The eagle from the front is quite rusted and that appears to continue to the reverse of the buckle and the 'ears'! Yet a webbing tab that is on this buckle since the war has no rust marks that have transfered from the buckle? Also the stiching to the tab is quite bright and fresh looking? I think there is more to be discussed here? Or am I barking mad?

Rich

@Richard Auld, absolutely nothing wrong with @Manu Della Valle's tropical Buckle. All is correct. Here is my '41 Gustav Brehmer. It's common not to find any rust or staining on the web tab. 😉:)

20190720_101005.jpg

20190720_101031.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yours is definatley in better condition around the ears where the webbing is in contact with the iron. The buckle highlighted is not just rusted but pitted? I will search through what I have in webbing and see if I can find some iron that has rusted in contact with webbing over a 70 year period or even less time. Your tab is also better finished at the end in terms of where the sewing machine ended the rough webbing. I am sorry I am a skeptic at times but if i were in the market for an untouched one I would buy yours. Perhaps both parts of the buckle are original just married later, rust makes a hell of a mess. Of course it could also be flash photoraphy and there is trace of the rust in daylight but it looks very clean?

Rich

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

-

Edited by Manu Della Valle

17 minutes ago, Manu Della Valle said:

Nobody has “married” any parts on this set...it’s in as left/as found conditions and it does not come from a dealer...end of story!

The rust is only surface rust on a metal part whose paint has been rubbed off by chafing and not rust caused by prolonged exposure to moisture or water,and that surely wouldn’t affect a piece of web not being in direct contact with the metal.On the other hand the prongs gave left their trace on the webbing.

the “sewing looking fresh” is not “fresh” at all,in fact a simple zooming in will reveal fading,or even this fading is due to carefully applied chlorine with a 0000 pointed brush?

DD3E4554-5E39-40D3-BD31-7FF39AE38A19.png

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The “rough finishing” of the tongue edge is due to wear and tear ...another zooming in would show where the edge finish is still in good conditions 

74919D0C-22A9-44A3-8227-D324A1A0721A.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Like I said just an observation although your definition of light surface rust and mine differ as the buckle is pitted (see your pictures).

There are also a lot of skilled people around that are 'improving' items all the time, say moving a claw and tab system from a denzified buckle to an original?

Where you got it does not matter these days as 74 years are a long time.

pitting 1.jpg

pitting 2.jpg

Like I said just an observation although your definition of light surface rust and mine differ as the buckle is pitted (see your pictures).

There are also a lot of skilled people around that are 'improving' items all the time, say moving a claw and tab system from a denzified buckle to an original?

Where you got it does not matter these days as 74 years are a long time.

Instead of writing the same bullshit you read on the WAF show your collection instead,and not just the cheap Knick-knack you’ve treated us to.

The buckle is not pitted,and it doesn’t take a degree in metallurgy to know that rust works it’s way on the surface,and before talking of “pitting” learn the meaning of the term.Nobody improved anything here and again...show us your collection...it must be fantastic and chockfull of top items!

• Like 1

I have a few bits and bobs. Top items are personal to each individual what top items have you got, had a quick squint  at what you have posted here and I don't see anything out of the ordinary except your focus on DAK and GJ? But leave it with me!

Your buckle is still pitted. I don't know what you think the definition of pitting is but take a look at the eagle on your buckle?

I have not read about your buckle on WAF it is just a general observation.

Perhaps an independant opinion from some one else might help? Anyone feel free to chip in?

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the bone of contension!

With a quick search of ebay just now , here is the current trend in this direction, yes some are just in too poor of a condition but a couple may be upcycled, yes I know they are not webbing tabs but I think it is not beyond possibility of them too where available being 'moved' from de-nazified buckles to and appropriate host is all. Probably been happening for years?

Rich

tab 1.PNG

tab2.PNG

tab3.PNG

tab4.PNG