Denison smock

Bil4338

• Major General

arrived today my latest acquisition.nicely used and abused Denison half fly para smock.all complete with good colour, not too faded.alas the labels washed out, and owners name inked inside the back which has leeched slightly, but happily, does not detract!

the smock has not been altered or modified in any way, still as issued apart from the wear and tear obviously!lots of unit tailor-sewn repairs here and there...but not too many.this smock has seen a lot of use, if only it could talk!

bought from eBay, for a bargain price too, certainly not a pittance, but nothing like I've seen some go for, so very happy with this one.when you consider the price of an unworn replica, this was doubly a bargain.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• Major General

Cheers, been after one for a while.everything comes to he who waits...a long time!9_9

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I personally prefer them like this,rather than something that's seen nothing but store room walls for too many years.

• Major General

Agreed! Salty but sweet is the preferred flavour for me.been there, done it all probably, if only it could talk what memories it could relate.could even have been at Arnhem for all we know.its a veteran for sure.

• Upvote 1

Hi @Bil4338,

That's a super example :)

The price for a second pattern Denison on dealers sites these days is crazy and it's good to know you got that one for a good price.

D

Thats a real cracker bil,,,and in decent condition despite the repairs, I wish I had kept mine, it was given to me when I was 15, I sold it about 25 years ago, mine had stripes and wings and if I knew then just how rare these would become in later years, especially those that had seen combat, I would still have it,, just another regret as I get older, in fact if I could kick my own arse, I would be black and blue on a regular basis because of all the things I,ve let go over the years. The one I have now saw combat in the Falklands and it belonged to my wifes brother in law

• Major General

Too right, I think I'm  in love with it actually! :$

@Davejb, you and me mate! I had a full zip Denison which I used in reenactment (!!) years ago and sold it together with a set of '37 BD and two '40 patt BD blouses, a near complete set of '08 webbing, full set of blancoed '37 webbing, signals satchel, officers haversack, Wehrmacht Heer artillery officers tunic, plus various bits and bobs, most of which I've now replaced and regret having to do so at today's prices too....although I am a real bargain hunter I have to say, it's debatable whether I've got my money back.that said, it's not too important as I have more spending power than 25-30 yrs ago, more knowledge and more determination!....plus the Internet definitely helps as for all of us.

...and I bet my bahookey would be blacker and bluer than yours....!9_9

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Bil4338 I sat and watched the film "Paratrooper."..starring Alan Ladd as a Canadian paratrooper this afternoon, and after reading this thread...all I could think about was...wonder what happened to all those smocks ??....:) 

A good film, although the Title was originally The Red Beret, It was changed for the American Film Institute and audiences as they probably never heard of the Red Berets. I knew an older guy who was a film extra in the film, He told me all the trouble that Alan Ladd caused on set, mainly the fact that nearly everyone was taller than him which he hated. In some of the scenes he had to have raised areas, especially in the interior shots, then wore lifts in his boots for the exterior shots which only gave him a couple of inches higher. Seeing it was made in 1953 there were wartime smocks used as well as later ones. Terence Young,  the film Director was his first big film debut and he had numerous arguments with Ladd who tried to dictate how the film should be made and how he should be portrayed as the only heroic character, the other actors would,nt have none of it nor some of the real Paras in the film who used to wind him up by patting him on the head and saying "alright titch"

• Upvote 2