I have no idea.....,

ahrtal

OK.  Have had this since 1972.  Came out an antique store not dealing in militaria---it was in a case with costume jewelry!  Anyway, I picked it up.  It was two piece, painted completely in naval grey paint, but under a scratch I saw a bright silver finish.  I did the unholy thing and took off the subdued paint, and here is what was underneath.  I just don't know....

Oh, and someplace I have a DAK officer's buckle that I will try to find.  Sold most of my belts and buckles in Dec.  What a mistake!

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1683.JPG

Edited by ahrtal
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that DRGM marks were used post war, this could be one of those items produced for troops and tourists after the war. the fact theres no makers mark or serial number is a bit sus, that combined with the pigeons head, sharpened prongs and highly polished surface, makes me think its a post war replica, but buckles are not my strong area of collecting,,see what Lenny has to say, it could also be a very late war production item

• Upvote 1

Post war they went to BRGM (Bundes Reich as opposed to Duetches Reich) but not sure when. I agree about the prongs they look way too sharp with one flat plane. I look forward to hearing Lennys input.

On 22/10/2016 at 23:36, Mav352 said:

Edited by Bill in VA

• Major General

Think the DRGM makes it private purchase, but as some details are suspect, I'm gonna defer to a higher power.....LENNY????... wherefore art thou Herr Koppelschlossmeister....?

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

Sorry guys, been away a lot with work and family. I've also being trying to build up the MCN's separate FB groups, as we need to cover all the bases as it were. It seems the vast majority of folk on the FB group can't be arsed coming to the website which is a shame. I'm trialling a separate MCN buckle FB group just to see how it goes, although the website is our main area, here to stay.. ;)

I answered on this buckle on FB. I'm not liking it. Single solder point isn't seen on these, although a single holder with foldover tabs soldered has been noted on a SA buckle. DRGM is normally seen on WW1, Weimar and Private Purchase buckles.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Field Marshall
On 21/12/2016 at 19:10, Desert Rat said:

Nice Answer Bil......Where fore art though......LENNY?

Err, two posts above yours.. ;)

• Like 1

SORRY Lenny....Only meant as a joke with Bil, My apology.  

Have a Great Night with Your Family and To You All From Me Have a Safe and Peaceful 2017....!

Scotland The Brave!

• 1 year later...

The head looks funny.

The center is riveted as can be seen by the distortion of the box around the rivet.

From Peter Nash's book "Belt Buckles 1845-1945", page 119. "This is an important point in the recognition of early fake two-piece Heer and Luftwaffe buckles, many of which are wrongly made with rivets.

And referenced as a fake in "German Belt Buckles 1919-1945" by Thomas Reid and John J Nauer, page 85. “Very well produced in aluminum, but with one rivet attaching the inset instead of the proper four tabs.”

I don’t know of any original single rivet EM buckles.

D.R.G.M. (Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster) means it is a registered design in Germany. It was introduced in 1891 and actually in use up to 1952 when it was changed to D.B.G.M. (Deutsches Bundesgebrauchsmuster).

There is no doubt this buckle is a post war fake.

• Like 1

Hello Doug,

I compliment you on a brilliant answer.....as I have no idea about Buckles!

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Ian

• 4 months later...

This style box is still made for tradesmens buckles here in Germany, a quick search found this (Dachdecker) roof builders buckle but you get them for other trades as well.

da.jpg

Edited by Richard Auld

• 5 months later...

Late reply on this one - but I will also concur: this one is a reproduction. Everything about this one is bad: markings, construction, lack of detail. Sorry but it's a repro.

Cheers lads!
R.