Home from the USA...

Norrie

Well, I'm home safe from my visit to California....bought maybe 15 helmets and caps...plus lots of gear, bayonets, knives and uniforms...:) Arrived at Edinburgh Airport last evening, to find my cases were the last through...and they showed just before 4 Border Patrol  Officers arrived in the baggage claims hall...here we go thinks I....so...got stopped and asked the usual...and especially about bringing any "contraband" into the country...stuff like Beef Jerky....which I love......I had 5 bags of it in my luggage...so, tells them about it,seemingly not allowed...:( I told them i was very happy for them to open my cases to look see. which they did....they were amazed about the collection of WW1 and WW2 gear I had, and as their was a cop "wandering" round in the background...they asked him about my fighting knives, hunting knives and bayonet...as it turns out, he's an ex vet, fought in Iraq, and loved all the gear too...we chatted for ages about various items..and he gave the all clear..seemingly, its disguised knives and lock/flick knives they dont want in.....I told him about this forum, and he might sign up...and is gonny look me up on FB, as he has an Iraqi bringback helmet and 3 star general rank shoulder boards I'm going to have a look at with the intension of buying from....so....no worries on any account about bringing Militaria through...might have been a different matter with inerts tho...but I deliberatly left them in the US...:) 

BTW, they siezed all my Jerky....:(

20161022_043601.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mav352 said:

Very nice haul..... did it have to come back on its own Plane? ?

LOL Thanks @Mav352..Nope...3 suitcases....one of the resasons the UK Border Patrol pulled me...:S

• Major General

They took yer f****** jerky?!? Bas****s!!! >:(

I've brought in jerky, chillies fresh and dried, chocolate, candy etc with no problems several times.never been searched though, that's maybe how!! :D

now, if it hadn't been for all those other goodies, they'd never have found the munchies....so you need to prioritise...what would you rather have?! ¬¬

• Upvote 1

@Bil4338 The main reason for getting an inspection was the amount of cases I had..3 in total, plus a carry on back pack.....so the officer said anyway....I was a tad expectant of a pull, so, put the Jerky on the top of one of the cases....but I'd called the airline before I left San Diego to clarify the matter on bringing knives and bayonets in along with all the militaria....no worries at all, as long as they were all in the  cargo hold.....the police officer said all was fine, and that they were looking for flick knives, and disguised knives too,...i.e. looking like credit cards and pens etc etc.....

I've brought back stacks of jerky, dried chillies too, and chocs before, this was my ninth or tenth trip to the USA......never had a problem, but, never been pulled before either...so......O.o I told him my daughter in LA posts jerky to me often...he said that should'nt be happening either, and it shouldnt get through to the UK...so...who aint doing their job properly??? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh thats low, your poor daughter, just imagine if she gets a visit from the FBI or the Postal services investigation branch for smuggling contraband, all for the sake of daddy,s beef jerky!!!!!!!!!!!9_9

• Upvote 1

YOU LUCKY B............Great Items, I bet you are well pleased........Well Done....!!!

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2016 at 12:27, Bill in VA said:

Why not make your own jerky? It's easy, even if you don't have a dehydrator. I make my own every time I head off on the AT. The same with dried fruit.

I've been making my own jerky for a few years now...mainly venison from deer I shoot......I've already got a dehydrator, I make my own burgers and sausages as well...got all the kit...but still love shop bought stuff too...:)

On 11/9/2016 at 00:04, Davejb said:

Oh thats low, your poor daughter, just imagine if she gets a visit from the FBI or the Postal services investigation branch for smuggling contraband, all for the sake of daddy,s beef jerky!!!!!!!!!!!9_9

LOL...Shes on her way home this weekend...and in the suitcase will be some WW2 dated U.S. magazines and newspapers and a 1944 dated British Despatch Riders helmet that I bought and got sent to her home.....she loves her old dad.....:D

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry it's a late reply Norrie,

....Good Luck to you and your daughter bringing back such great collectors items.....Best Wishes...Desert Rat