My First WW1 British Bayonet.

Norrie

I've been looking for a  WW1 British bayonet for some time now...and happened on this 1907 pattern at a boot sale in the US...

I'm not clued up on them...BUT...I think its made by Sanderson and dated for November 1915. the scabbard is a deep brown coloured leather and it and the bayonet are all in a very good condition....

If anyone can give me info about the rest of the marks, I would really appreciate it.:D

100_0606.JPG

100_0599.JPG

100_0604.JPG

100_0597.JPG

100_0600.JPG

100_0603.JPG

100_0607.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Nice one.Sanderson was the most prolific maker of these I think (although happy to be proved wrong) as 99% of these I've come across have been made by them.

the scabbard should be black, probably toned down with age.Australian scabbards were a chestnut colour.I had a complete one but like a dick sold it just before the eBay ban on blades came in.another sale I regret bitterly as they're worth a bit these days...

16 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Nice one.Sanderson was the most prolific maker of these I think (although happy to be proved wrong) as 99% of these I've come across have been made by them.

the scabbard should be black, probably toned down with age.Australian scabbards were a chestnut colour.I had a complete one but like a dick sold it just before the eBay ban on blades came in.another sale I regret bitterly as they're worth a bit these days...

Hiya...good stuff @Bil4338... I did read on a page somewhere that the scabbards were all originally brown, and blackened in the early 20's...no idea why that was done  tho, so, with that one being in the US, it would'nt have been blackened...:D

• Major General

Hmmm, interesting enigma! Never heard of that, I just assumed they were always black, although to be honest I've never ever thought about it.

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2016 at 22:43, Bil4338 said:

Hmmm, interesting enigma! Never heard of that, I just assumed they were always black, although to be honest I've never ever thought about it.

Literally just found out @Bil4338...the Scabbard is an American one,made for the British Army in about 1913 by Remington .see the photo,stamped "R.E" just below the "staple".20161026_195915.jpgpretty common to have them on the 1907 bayonet...that's why it's brown...so, it was made in the US...put on a British bayonet, then went back to the US after use....:D

20161026_195810.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

A nice wee discovery there, great to have something that bit different especially when it's not expected!^_^

• Upvote 1

You have a number of whats called view marks on the bayonet, these are usually found in large numbers as in this case, they denote factory Inspection marks throughout the production process, eg  B marks originate at RSAF Birmingham,,,"E" from Enfield, .."S" from Solingen (pre 1885)....or Sheffield (post 1885),, "L" from Liege Belgium, etc, there are numerous variations.  I dont see any acceptance marks,,these are a three digit number denoting when the weapon was accepted into service etc, eg a 2 "95" means Feb 1895 and so on.The large X is the Bend mark, this is placed on the convex side of the bend test. 1907 only means the pattern date it was sealed not when it was manufactured, it could have been made earlier but not patterned until that date, Your crowns all relate to Queen Victorias reign, but the Regt markings are unclear, The scabbard was probably a replacement made by Remington for US use, not for British use as this bayonet was made in England and would have been supplied with its original scabbard, Never the less its a nice example with some good marks and a talking point re the scabbard

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

On this metal bit,where the push button is mate,any stamps on either side.

IMG_7385.PNG

Nope...nothing that I can see....:(