Mk Three British Helmet.

Norrie

@Fred Karno's Army @Davejb @Desert Rat et all....:D

Hiya.been after one of these for ages...and was lucky enough to get this off the bay for not a lot of money... , it arrived this afternoon..accompanied by a strange coloured 1938 Mk2 helmet....and here are a few pictures...

It was "painted" in a sort of "mustard " colour paint...and I loosely call it paint as it was coming off in my hands a bit like a wash of sorts...so, gave it a gentle clean., and this is the result...you can see the original green underneath it...I have no idea at all why it was painted that colour...but the stuff left is much more stable...and does'nt come off with a damp cloth. 

The interior is painted the same as the exterior, with a rough finish. The chinstrap is a sort of olive green...which def matches the helmet... And the liner  is stamped FFL 33 ( ?) size is 7, and its dated 1944....

I need to get an original nut and bolt for it at some point./..but for now the modern one will have to do...

100_0746.JPG

100_0747.JPG

100_0748.JPG

100_0749.JPG

100_0750.JPG

100_0751.JPG

100_0752.JPG

100_0753.JPG

100_0756.JPG

• Upvote 1

@Norrie as to the mustard yellow paint on the exterior of the helmet body two things come to mind the paint could have taken on this patina naturally over the years and started out as a much lighter color ...It may have even been used by the Israelis as early as the war of 1948...Another possibility that comes to mind would be the Suez Canal Crisis...

Regards Mark 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Mark K said:

@Norrie as to the mustard yellow paint on the exterior of the helmet body two things come to mind the paint could have taken on this patina naturally over the years and started out as a much lighter color ...It may have even been used by the Israelis as early as the war of 1948...Another possibility that comes to mind would be the Suez Canal Crisis...

Regards Mark 

Hmmmm...Didnt think of that @Mark K...nice one...

This is the helmet before I wiped it over with a damp cloth and it ending up like it does now........it was coming off in swathes just with handling...def seemed like emulsion paint or a chalk wash on it...but the paint that is left is def more stable...

mk3 helmet.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very Nice Item.....Good to see it come back to the original colour..Well Done!!!

Best to you...Desert Rat

• Upvote 1