Slouch Hat I.D Please.

Norrie

Hiya...This just arrived...it was advertised as  Kings African Rifles Slouch hat...but, I'm not so sure...as I'm sure the rim band on them is a lot wider.

It's dated 1953.

I cant find out anything at all about Hall And Phillips the hat makers...I don't even know what country they were/are based....I want to buy a badge to complete the hat...but have no clue what one it needs...the badge holes are 1.1/4" apart, and the air vents are 2" apart...are the vents missing their metal "rims"....

Any help.info etc would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance chaps..:D

100_0757.JPG

100_0758.JPG

100_0759.JPG

100_0760.JPG

100_0761.JPG

100_0762.JPG

100_0763.JPG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

Try this link and follow it from there....I hope you find the actual makers of this...Superb!

https://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.org.uk/Details.aspx?&ResourceID=3736&PageIndex=24&SearchType=2&ThemeID=287

@Desert Rat  Thanks for the:D link...going in now....

• Upvote 1

• Major General

The ventilation holes were usually merely punched through the felt, no eyelets added.nice example.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bil4338 said:

The ventilation holes were usually merely punched through the felt, no eyelets added.nice example.

Thanks @Bil4338...Another Fleabay bargain mate...any idea of regiment that used it???

• Upvote 1

I believe this could be a Gurkha hat, there are examples of a plain band version and Hall and Phillips were based in Nuneaton, Est in the 20s I believe

• Upvote 2

Yeh Dave & Norrie...Now you look at it....Ghurka...I am sure too!

I met Johnson Gideon Beharrie V.C.  in Tunbridge Wells a few years ago, and the Ghurkas were marching in for a parade to the Town Hall...Very priveliged  to shake this Hero's Hand and chat to him.

Lance Corporal in the......1st Princess of Wales Royal Regiment...(WELCOME HOME..THE TIGERS)  I am taking the images bottom left corner...Great Day For Me...!!!

Let me know what badge you need for it and I will try and find it for you...need an image please. Do you want original or repro?

Best Wishes...IanB ...Desert Rat

beharry01.jpg

wink taking photos tun wells parade.jpg

• Upvote 1

@Desert Rat Hiya...I just bought a 3rd Gurkha Rifles cap badge ( Original)  yesterday...it should be here soon...

Thanks for the very kind off ...:D

Great picture of a great man...love it....:D

• Upvote 2

Yes Norrie a Great Man.....One of only the Few who have received this most Prestigious Award...and Extremely Deserved..A Wonderful Moment for me to chat to him and shake this Hero's Hand...We Remember ALL the V.C. Hero's ..With Great Pride for their Absolute Bravery & Courage....We Salute You ALL....!!!

And I was on Meridian TV at the time....Yeh I am not famous ..Just there at the right time...Lucky Me....!!!

• Upvote 1