Latest Car Boot finds...

Norrie

Falkirk Car Boot sale keeps throwing up wee "treasures"....for me at least...:D

Got this 1873 Chasseur Bayonet...it was filthy...but after a wee clean up, ( left 100 years of patina on the handle)  I found out the scabbard and the bayonet numbers match...so...one to me...:)

also got an ARP badge to go with my ARP helmet...cheap as chips that was too...

AND, a Kuwaity "bring back" a fly wafter thingy....brought back by the sellers father when he was serving there during Gulf One...not yer usual miltaria stuff I know...but I loved the story she told me about him walking around in full kit and with his rifle wafting flies away....:S

bayonet and wafty thing.jpg

bayonet ages.jpg

arp badge.jpg

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

In all my time in Kuwait I never did see a fly squatter lol,just got used to them like the sand rats and eat them !. A bit like that Bear Grylls fella :P:DxD.

18 hours ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

In all my time in Kuwait I never did see a fly squatter lol,just got used to them like the sand rats and eat them !. A bit like that Bear Grylls fella :P:DxD.

I can see spending time swatting flies not being too condusive to health and safety...of yer self....I'm assuming the guy was not long there and didn't have too much combat experience...:S

BTW, Bear has so much dosh...I heard he had a servant to swat his flies...oooer mrs...9_9

• Upvote 1

Another Super Item.....I am sure its the Luck of the Scots.....As I am half Scot and not all Sassenach..I am pleased, just waiting for my lucky chance!

Lovely Items though.....My Dad in the Western Desert During WW2 helped with the fly competitions....As Len knows...you can be in the middle of the Bloody desert far from life and civilisation, no one around for hundreds of miles...yeh the little black (stukas) will find you and make every moment of your life fighting there a misery!

Anyway...if there company won...due to the weight of flies caught and killed...they would get an extra slice of corned beef, an extra cigarette....a nice little gift in 50 degree heat (how they survived I will never know- My Dad told me and its true...eggs and spam cooked on the side of the tank for food....WOW!

• Upvote 2

A couple of images of the 8th Armies Field Marshal....Monty ...One of the Best Leaders of WW2.....( Market Garden - Not so Sure??)

MONTY 002.jpg

MONTY WW2.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat

On 28/11/2016 at 21:25, Desert Rat said:

I bet he didnt do any fly catching.....!!!

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Upvote 1

Those bayonets normally had a name inscribed on the flat top of the blade near the handle, Mine had "Etienne" not sure if it was the name of its owner or a makers mark, have a look you might be pleasantly surprised

• Upvote 1

@Davejb...Both of mine have engraved blades too..no clue as to what it means tho......the top one says Ettiene, and the other says Hullet or Kullet...the Etienne one ( Top ) is the one from the car boot, the other I bought at an auction. Both are dated 1870 and 1873...:)

20161204_202951_001.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...