Broadsword calling Danny Boy....

Lenny

I've been out of the loop for awhile, dealing with some life changing health issues. I left alot of groups on facebook, including my own Admin duties on some. Need a break.But I dont think this forum will die out. Its still better than the Facebook groups.  

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not been around much at all. This move kicked the shyte out of me. Here it is Christmas day and I find myself out on the tractor moving things around. Now in the house for a few before blasting off into work for the day. Things seem to be settling aa little so hopefully I have some time to relax and hang out here.

• Upvote 2

Hello Bas,

Youv'e been a busy man....Now have a good break, a few beers or Whiskey....then relax for the rest of the Holiday!

Best Wishes to You & Your Family and for a Safe & Peaceful 2017......IanB

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Hi people. I've just joined this site, in fact it's one of only 3 sites that I am involved with. Of the other two one is about scale modeling and the other simply a commercial site for purchasing militaria. My wife is on FB, but that is only for keeping contact with family in the U.K., so I am a bit sad to read that this forum is struggling.  I'll tell you a bit about me and maybe it might lead to some discussion. I live in a small fishing port on the far East coast of Victoria, Australia. It's very scenic, but isolated. I am ex Royal Australian Navy and am now retired. My hobbies include fishing, (I have an old 30' timber cray boat that I'm restoring), scale modeling and collecting militaria. I am also heavily involved with a veteran and ex-service persons organization. My interests in militaria are wide ranging and include edged weapons, badges, uniforms and printed material. One of the big issues for collecting in Australia is cost. Things are expensive here and if you purchase from overseas there are issues to beware of. One which I believe is peculiar to Oz is that if I wish to bring in any kind of shell casing from overseas, our Customs people will cut a big chunk out of it. Imagine finding a nice German 88 shell casing - just the casing, no projectile, so you can look into it and see that it's empty - making your purchase and then sitting back eagerly awaiting the arrival of your precious acquisition..... Only to find that Customs has cut a 1"x3" strip down the side of it - just in case you want to reload it in your privately owned 88 and ping away at someone. The same would occur if I was to purchase a German stick grenade.

Another issue here is fakes. At different auction houses we have been seeing a lot of fake German militaria, (uniforms, headgear and edged weapons). Fake German stuff isn't new, but now there is an influx of items coming from India that include swords, brass fire helmets, locomotive name plates, picklehaubes, etc. Some of these fakes are easily identifiable, but others are superbly made and aged, swords particularly. As always, it's buyer beware, but sometimes even the best of us can be caught out.

Anyway, that's my bit. I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Revolver

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, revolver said:

Hi people. I've just joined this site, in fact it's one of only 3 sites that I am involved with. Of the other two one is about scale modeling and the other simply a commercial site for purchasing militaria. My wife is on FB, but that is only for keeping contact with family in the U.K., so I am a bit sad to read that this forum is struggling.  I'll tell you a bit about me and maybe it might lead to some discussion. I live in a small fishing port on the far East coast of Victoria, Australia. It's very scenic, but isolated. I am ex Royal Australian Navy and am now retired. My hobbies include fishing, (I have an old 30' timber cray boat that I'm restoring), scale modeling and collecting militaria. I am also heavily involved with a veteran and ex-service persons organization. My interests in militaria are wide ranging and include edged weapons, badges, uniforms and printed material. One of the big issues for collecting in Australia is cost. Things are expensive here and if you purchase from overseas there are issues to beware of. One which I believe is peculiar to Oz is that if I wish to bring in any kind of shell casing from overseas, our Customs people will cut a big chunk out of it. Imagine finding a nice German 88 shell casing - just the casing, no projectile, so you can look into it and see that it's empty - making your purchase and then sitting back eagerly awaiting the arrival of your precious acquisition..... Only to find that Customs has cut a 1"x3" strip down the side of it - just in case you want to reload it in your privately owned 88 and ping away at someone. The same would occur if I was to purchase a German stick grenade.

Another issue here is fakes. At different auction houses we have been seeing a lot of fake German militaria, (uniforms, headgear and edged weapons). Fake German stuff isn't new, but now there is an influx of items coming from India that include swords, brass fire helmets, locomotive name plates, picklehaubes, etc. Some of these fakes are easily identifiable, but others are superbly made and aged, swords particularly. As always, it's buyer beware, but sometimes even the best of us can be caught out.

Anyway, that's my bit. I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Revolver

Welcome aboard  @Revolver, nice to have some new blood in the group. I'm at work presently but saw your post and wanted to welcome you. Look forward to seeing your collection.  Cheers!

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64
  • Upvote 2

• Major General

Likewise Revolver, welcome to the site! Hopefully you'll have lots of goodies to tempt our eyes with, so feel free to post away.?

• Upvote 2

Great To Welcome you and Many Thanks for your script above!

I hope you enjoy it on here at MCN....there isn't another site as good anywhere!

Best Wishes....Desert Rat

I also welcome you Revolver, I think you will find this site different from all others, theres no dramas here, just a friendly bunch of like minded guys and girls who enjoy militaria , and in my case model making as well, so post away, enjoy yourself, and get involved, Dave

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks, thanks for the welcome. I have some interesting bits and pieces which I shall try to post. My problem is that my hands shake a lot so taking photos is a bit problematic, but with some help from my wonderful wife and some likeminded mates I will get there. To tempt your taste buds I will try to photograph a couple of small items from Hitlers bunker and a French briquette taken of a bandit in Somalia. Hope this finds you all well.

Revolver

• Upvote 1

Hi Folks, my last thought for tonight. I'd like a bit of advice from the old hands. Am I using this site correctly?

Revolver

• Upvote 1

Hello Revolver,

It will be great to some of your items...I am sure you have many, please show them as all of us on MCN enjoy our collector friends Worlwide and what they each and everyone have in their collection. As for using this site, I am sure you will be fine any problems put a message up, we will all try and assist you.

Best Wishes To You & All Your Family

IanB - UK/ Desert Rat

The two images are from Hill 60...where the British, Canadian and The First Australian Tunneling Companies finally dug these tunnels, and eventually succeeded in blowing 19 mines all along the Messines Ridge on 7th June 1917....I hope you can read the print to them all...!

IMGP6298.JPG

IMGP6300.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

A great post. This has been the subject of a movie, but living so far away, it's great to see posts from actual sites. Thanks Desert Rat. I am hoping to post some pictures in the next few days. Sadly photos are a bit difficult for me as my hands now shake rather badly.

Revolver

• Upvote 1

Many Thanks for your kind comment.

I hope you can read my WW1 story on the website in the link below and let me know what you think? I have WW2 coming up so it will take a while as I have to write more about the SOE agents I have met & The French Resistance and the Comete Line...Thank you!

http://www.edenbridgetown.com/in_the_past/index.shtml

Very Best wishes to You & Your Family

Ian / Desert Rat

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the acceptance, I'm looking forward to seeing this thing grow without the constraints sometime imposed by Facebook.

Cheers, Lenny, well done!

• Like 1

• Field Marshall
9 minutes ago, reg said:

Thanks for the acceptance, I'm looking forward to seeing this thing grow without the constraints sometime imposed by Facebook.

Cheers, Lenny, well done!

Welcome aboard, hopefully the apathy has gone as FB has no future for us.. :(

• Like 1

• Field Marshall
1 minute ago, Rory said:

A quiz now and again might be fun.

We usedto have caption competitions @Rory, but I had plans for a quizz too, with prizes. ;)

• Like 1

• Major General

It wont be long before the inert ammo caper will be banned from FB. Im surprised that Grens and Ord page has escaped so far!

Yehhhhhhhhh.....a little Xmas quiz would be good and the winner getting an MCN badge sent to the winner (or an MG42) 

How about this as an idea --------

"Jah, I know you like me but is that a luger in your pocket or are you very pleased to see me?. Mien Gott what would my dear Adolph say-----"string him up on a piano wire, you dirty, filthy traitor, He is the only one allowed to see me with a Luger in his pocket"

eva braun eagles nest.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Field Marshall
12 minutes ago, Waffenamt said:

It wont be long before the inert ammo caper will be banned from FB. Im surprised that Grens and Ord page has escaped so far!

Agreed, it's a shame, but it will happen sooner or later. Adrian Kos had his group removed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

Yehhhhhhhhh.....a little Xmas quiz would be good and the winner getting an MCN badge sent to the winner (or an MG42) 

How about this as an idea --------

"Jah, I know you like me but is that a luger in your pocket or are you very pleased to see me?. Mien Gott what would my dear Adolph say-----"string him up on a piano wire, you dirty, filthy traitor, He is the only one allowed to see her with a Luger in my pocket"

eva braun eagles nest.jpg

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Field Marshall

Looks like I’m starting the caption competition then. 😂

• Like 1

YYYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppppppp......Lenny, to cheer us up, you know you can't get this excitement on ANY other website but MCN....mmmmmm I am a lonely old bar-steward.

Let's hope you can do it, yes you can, we all know you are very clever with 21st century technology

Best to you and look forward to it....From us All...!

1 hour ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

🤣

Eva to fat man - "Why are you holding your trousers up, have you a big Sauerkraut for me in there?"...ooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...