M40 Attic Find, Bologna, Italy (Linea Gotica)

HetzersGonnaHetz

Just like to share the most recent buy, an M40 Helmet which was found in an Attic in an area called Loiano, near Bologna, on the former Gothic Line :) 

Its been field painted in an anti-glare varnish and the liner is an very nice condition considering where it's been for 60+ years, chinstrap has a small field repair, but all in all its not bad helmet, hope you fellas like it! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• Major General

The liners nice, but I doubt it's original to that shell, being a reinforced 2nd type, which were fitted to M.35's.all my M.40's have the 3rd type, i.e. not reinforced, a plain zinc band.think I told you before, but it's your money and your call.

note also how the band isn't totally flush to the shell, and has a few small kinks in it, which suggests it's been manipulated which then suggests it's a replacement.did this come from an Italian seller or from eBay?...or an Italian seller on eBay?

• Upvote 1

It came from an Italian seller :) I don't recall you saying that but you may have, I'd have to check, either way, it is indeed my call as you say mate. I popped it on WRF and I'll see if it was picked up on there as to if its a 2nd or 3rd type.

• Upvote 1

Its definately a 2nd type aluminium reinforced liner band, if you could see the date on it it would tell you when it was made, which would be earlier than the M40 helmet, however theres no real way of telling when it was put in, but if a soldier was replacing his liner he would rather have one that went with the M40 rather than an M35 inferior liner, its not as if liners were scarce at that time

• Upvote 2

I am no expert at all on German Helmets....But to read Davejb and Bil....comments, they are very good and help me a lot to understand what to look for...Thanks you Guys..!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Could you PM me the name of the seller?I may be wrong but I think I've had this very helmet in my hands at last Militalia Show in Milan!I don't think the liner it's original to it either!

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Well whatever I said before...I still think its great for a collection...!!!