Avro Lancaster

DPerk58

Hello I’m new to this forum hope to have many interesting topics too discuss in the future

I have just purchased from Germany a box of aircraft relics which were collected from a crash site. It is supposed to be remains of a Lancaster bomber of No. 101 Sqn RAF, which crashed on the Nuremberg raid on 31 March 1944. I done a bit of research and I believe it to be the Lancaster SR-R "DV276"  flown by Pilot Officer John Batten-Smith D.F.C. He was shot down by Oberleutnant Helmuth Schulte of II./NJG 5 near the autobahn at Röthenbach, which is 16 kilometres East North East of Nürnberg. The person who excavated the crash site did so at the location of AK Kreuz Nürnberg Ost, which is about where Batten-Smith crashed. It is No 101 Squadrons 100th anniversary this year I would like to present their association with some genuine relics from one of their squadrons Lancasters. If the members of this forum could help me with the identification of the aircraft parts, it would be a great help, and perhaps in a small way Honor the memory of those who flew with No. 101 Squadron.

I think I should warn you I believe there are some late Spitfire parts in the collection; I found a Hispano shell casing!

Dennis

8765989077098.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I have just finished photographing the green painted parts of the relics; maybe someone could recognize some of them. I have more photos later.

Dennis

Pictures 1-2 front and back

Pictures 3-4 front and back

gr 2.jpg gr 2b.jpg

gr 3.jpggr 3b.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I commend you on your personal research into the this Lancaster Bombers demise ...what happened to the crew I do not know if they were lucky enough to bale out or were all killed..only that as you know we owe these young "Boys" a sincere debt of gratitude for all they went through and suffered and those 55, 000...who Never Came Home....We Remember Them...!!!

The story of the image below is attached from this young boy "William Walter" 3rd along top right, who worked with my dad before the war in the Apollina Mineral water - factory in Hever Road, Edenbridge, Kent in 1937 before my dad was called up for the 8th Army...!

http://www.edenbridgetown.com/in_the_past/bill_walters_story/index1.shtml

WW 1 & 2 PHOTOS FOR STORY 025.png

• Upvote 2

All the crew as pictured above, Captained by Ian Ross (Australian) were all drowned after a bombing raid and shot down!

• Upvote 1

Sorry I forgot.....Image above  - Sole Copyright of Ian R. Bridle...www.edenbridgetown.com

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every nut and bolt, the complete design built by hand.....Thank you Roy Chadwick...One of the best Bombers of WW2!

LANCASTER BLUEPRINT.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.edenbridgetown.com/in_the_past/bill_walters_story/index1.shtml

Please turn your sound up and hear a Lancaster taking off...and the story I wrote about William "Bill" Walters from my Home Town, Edenbridge, Kent, UK....Please let me know what you think....?

To ALL the Very Courageous, Incredibly Brave "Boys" in the RAF & Bomber Crews..We Salute and Remember You...!!!

lancaster ww2.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Fred Karno's Army
On 10/01/2017 at 14:56, DPerk58 said:

Some more items maybe the forum members can identify?

dark 5.jpg

dark 7s.jpg

dark 11.jpg

Not too sure but the first pic reminds me of the crew call system in Lancs ?

IMG_3168.PNG

• 3 years later...

Where did these relics end up?  Are they now in a museum or properly archived? My mothers husband was a crew member on DV276.. 

thank you Rob Wenman

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

Welcome to MCN...we hope you enjoy this fantastic Military Website.

If you have time can you please write a story of your Mum's husband who was a crew member....we would love to read it...They Were All Heroes...!!!

Best to you & Stay Safe....Desert Rat

One of my Dad's workmates before the war was - William Walter - from Edenbridge, Kent, UK...after his initial training in 57 Squadron, then was then transferred to 617 Sqdn . ( Third from left back row )

Please read my story of the fight and crew on www.edenbridgetown.com  - http://www.edenbridgetown.com/in_the_past/index.shtml    turn the sound on as a Lancaster is flying over....I hope you like it?

"The William Walter Story"

The crew on their final trip, with 617 Dam Buster Squadron was
carried out on January 12th 1945 to Bergen Norway

F/Officer I. S. Ross Captain and Pilot
F/Sgt W. Walter Flight Engineer
W/O S.R. Anderson.D.F.M Navigator.
P/O R. Ellwood. D.F.M W/Operator.
P/O E.G. Tilby Air Bomber
F/Sgt L.D.Griffiths Mid Upper Gunner
F/Officer A.F.Mckellar

Rear gunner

The crew photograph taken before their final trip, with 617 Dam Buster Squadron, which was
carried out on January 12th 1945 to Bergen Norway....They were shot down by enemy fighters and crashed into the fiord and despite rescue efforts which flew in from Scotland with inflatable boats....They all drowned...!!!

WW 1 & 2 PHOTOS FOR STORY 025.png

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

On 06/02/2021 at 02:47, Rob Wenman said:

Where did these relics end up?  Are they now in a museum or properly archived? My mothers husband was a crew member on DV276.. 

thank you Rob Wenman

Rob, unfortunately this site does not have the answers you require. I have a similar dilemma with a German crew that were recovered and buried somewhere but I keep finding parts of the plane. I can't find where they were laid to rest or confirm who they were. Sadly here in Germany none of the locals or indeed the leadership are at all interested in this 'shameful' period of history even though it connects with the current generation whether they like it or not. I in no way want to glorify their participation in the war but just acknowledge their sacrifice for what they had no way of avoiding back then as young men? Same sketch both sides, politicians should try harder to avoid war cause it is just shti for most of the players at the sharp end!

Best

Rich

Edited by Richard Auld

Hello,

I thought I would add the Lancaster blueprint again as the image was lost in account above.

Every nut and bolt, the complete design built by hand.....Thank you Roy Chadwick...One of the best Bombers of WW2!

LANCASTER BLUEPRINT.jpg

Just to mention despite the accusation against me from Rich.....I WILL NOT REMOVE THIS POPPY FROM MY activity on MCN....This to me whether you understand it or NOT ( Which you don't at ALL) Remembers ALL of the BRITISH U.S.A. AND COMMONWEALTH "BOYS" MEN WHO SACRIFICEID THEIR LIVES IN WAR AGAINST THE ENEMY during WW1 and WW2...Who gave and sacrificed their lives, their loved ones and their beloved families) as which the enemy had also had done. But Do NOT FORGET  the We Fought for and died for Freedom.....Accept it as it truthfully is......THIS POPPY STANDS FOR FREEDOM AND LIBERTY FOR ALL NATIONS AND ALL THAT SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES...!!!

Desert Rat
 Reply to this status...