SS Dagger

dtl70

Hoping to get feedback on this dagger. All original? Any red flags? Reasonable price?

Thanks so much!

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General

A little bit used and abused but it looks legit to me.Im no expert however, but with that amount of wear and tear I can't see why anyone would go to such lengths to reproduce the ageing.gope it was cheap, cos it looks like it was used for a multitude of purposes...

• Upvote 1

Quite right Bill, no one I hope would go to these lengths and time to produce a dagger such as this...especially a rare SS dagger, looks very good and I can only say it looks original...Please do some research and hope you find the answer.....Well I mean, how much would it cost today just to engrave the handle...a bloody fortune!

• Upvote 1

It appears to be genuine, but theres a lot wrong with it, the blade looks to have been badly abused and from what I see it has been ground down on the edges, ie sharpened either side, the metal has been part cleaned and I assume this was done to remove rust. The handle has been removed at one time, replaced and possibly over tightened causing the wood to split both ends . The top guard and bottom guard has been polished ,again to get rid of some form of deterioration. I would like to see the whole thing in one photo and the whole scabbard. To be honest I think this could well be a parts dagger, which would seriously affect the price

• Upvote 1

Again, I don't own this dagger. I have a guy trying to sell it to me. Not my area of expertise. I appreciate all of the input, guys. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello to you all,

Maybe my mistake now that you have mentioned a price...I would NOT pay this much, although it is in "not bad" condition.....Save your money and wait until you can find a ...Superb Condition Original One.....Best Wishes to you ALL!

Hello,

Yes the condition is not good, there are many bits and pieces that are worn etc....but if the price could be much lower/ an offer...then I would personally consider it, as mentioned....who would go to all this trouble and get a craftsman to engrave the blade as this is, WOW..what do you all think it would cost to engrave this as it looks genuine.....I had my Harley - Davidson Shovelhead Rocker Covers x2 engraved with - Harley and Davidson - what do you think this would cost me...well £200 alone. So to engrave this, it needs the tools, machine and a very good experienced craftsman....!!!

I would not say its a fake/ copy but the price considering the condition I would expect to pay with (if it is the original scabbard) £350- £400....then I would be happy...!!!

• 2 months later...

Cruising the MCN website, looking at all the eye-candy.  Came upon this.  About the sixth picture down is the maker's mark on the ricasso of the blade.  The guy swinging the hammer looked familiar.  I have a M1889 Prussian officers sword with the same hammer guy, but the dagger shown here is marked "E. P. & S." and my sword is marked "P. O. & Co.".  So digging a bit deeper, this is what I found.  "E. P. & S." is "Ernst Pack & Sohns" and they produced edged weapons in WW2.  Prior to that, Ernst worked with another guy named Ohliger,  "P. O. & Co." is "Pack, Ohliger & Co."  and they produced edged weapons from 1905 to 1925.

It seems (if this data is correct) that you would find "P. O. & Co." on pre-WW2 blades, and during WW2 you would see "E.P. & S."

• Like 1