German BGS M40/55 type ventless helmet.

Afrikakorpsrat64

Apparently the information I have on this helmet is wrong. It is a BGS helmet, or a Police helmet I believe but the decals and use of are in question. I do , per Ludwig Baer's book, know that state police decals were used. Does anyone have any infor on these decals? Are they fantasy? or maybe a state police decal?? Any help would be most appreciated as I all ready made an ass out of my self on FB over this helmet! I still love it no matter what it is.

Not WW2 but it didnt seem to fit in any other category and I wanted to share it. This is the second pattern after the WW2 type M40's they used in the late 40's and early '50's, they came out with this one, I believe the vent less type were used in  the late 50's through the '60's/70's, but it proved not to be working so they went back to the vent type. Also of note on this type and all later ones they used a screww in the crown liner mount and did away with the split pins. They also went with a US type chin strap bale. The liner is adjustable. This one is un marked other than the size range, and is named. The shell is maker marked LS for Linnemann Schnetzer, Ahlen Germany. Shell size 66. And its a double decal! lol. I dont normaly collect post war but these are pretty interesting and a WW2 style shell is always cool, plus I like the decals. Last one I saw was back in the '70s till this one came along. Now Im starting to see them popping up. If anyone has any more history/info etc on these post war helmets , I would love to hear it. Thanks

20170217_080830.jpg

20170217_080902.jpg

20170217_080848.jpg

20170217_080812.jpg

20170217_080930.jpg

20170217_080912.jpg

20170217_081015.jpg

20170217_081029.jpg

20170217_081521.jpg

20170217_081536.jpg

20170217_081618.jpg

20170217_081728.jpg

20170217_081736.jpg

20170217_081752.jpg

20170217_081819.jpg

20170217_081845.jpg

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64
Up date on Description'
  • Upvote 1

I,m afraid I cant help you personally, although I believe a lot of these were made from lightweight metal or even Aluminium, German firecrews were still using WW2 helmets in the 70s and 80s and they added a leather flap to protect the neck and had them repainted, but yours is obviously a post war adaptation, but apart from that I,ve had no reason to take an interest in them, sorry!!

• Upvote 2

You are right Dave....this is more a late 50's - 60's helmet as you can clearly see from the inner ink stamps.etc...Dont Buy It....!!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Yes it is an original  late 50's/60's era BGS helmet. My question was regarding the decals on it. Now I had some FaceBook troll I got into a heated argument over the decals, he claims decals were never applied to the BGS helmets, well not according to Ludwig Baer and several others. I am basically done with all the FaceBook groups, I have allready left just about all. And have been making a point of limiting my time on there and putting it into more happy and healthy ventures.

Anyway. I have included some reference from Baers book, but still dont know if the Bundeswher   type eagle on my helmet was used. I have seen several of these helmets so mine is not the only one. Mannie Gentile even posted his on the web.

20170223_093723.jpg

20170223_093751.jpg

20170223_094020.jpg

20170223_094030.jpg

20170223_094049.jpg

20170223_094106.jpg

Ok, Although I,m in no way conversant with these decals, purely from an outside observers view, the decal of the eagle looks strange, in that it looks like it has been applied by using a sort of adhesive plastic film. The film has been badly cut around the edges and aIso cuts into the helmet. I would suggest this was done by someone with a craft knife, also if you notice that the actual decal has also been badly cut to the left of the picture, this could only have been done after it had been printed , but why would anybody do this to a printed decal straight off a machine, there,s no reason for doing so. Printed decals, even now are pretty exact even the fake ones are. Also bear in mind that decals printed post war would more than likely have been manufactured on wartime machines, therefore should be accurate once the set up had been applied for newer decals.As for the National colour decal , there is too much distance to accurately comment on it. Personally, had I been in the process of buying this, I would definately have carried out a deeper investigation into the decals, especially the eagle, that is the one that is worrying and I am tempted to say its a replica, but I dont know if this actual decal even exists, the examples you show in the Baer book do not show this one, and his books were considered to be the holy grail at that time, and as said in the beginning this is not my area of collecting and only a personal observation

• Upvote 2

I agree @Davejb. The eagle is also of a different material an thickness than the national colors decal.  I got it at a decent price and wanted it for being a Nice example of a ventless BGS  helmet. But like you I'm not real familiar with the post war helmets. I'm just hoping to get to the bottom of how an why it has that eagle. Maybe a gift shop item.lol. if it doesn't belong on the helmet, I would like to remove it an make the helmet what it should be. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Afrikakorpsrat64 said:

I agree @Davejb. The eagle is also of a different material an thickness than the national colors decal.  I got it at a decent price and wanted it for being a Nice example of a ventless BGS  helmet. But like you I'm not real familiar with the post war helmets. I'm just hoping to get to the bottom of how an why it has that eagle. Maybe a gift shop item.lol. if it doesn't belong on the helmet, I would like to remove it an make the helmet what it should be. 

Another thing too leading me to the conclusion these were an add on by someone other than the German Police or BGS, the decals show no wear ,dings scratches, other than the hobby knife cuts, yet the helmet does. I seriously need to stay off the internet when im Guinnessed up as I tend to buy anything as if I was printing the money!lol!! :P

• Upvote 1

I Like That Remark.....I do the bloody same when I have have a few red wines, and buy crap, next day I am wondering what the FFFFFFFF did I buy that for.aaaaaaaaaarrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

I Like That Remark.....I do the bloody same when I have have a few red wines, and buy crap, next day I am wondering what the FFFFFFFF did I buy that for.aaaaaaaaaarrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh

It's nice to know I'm not alone! We need to start a support group.lol!

• Upvote 1

How right you are....are we poor lonely souls...NO.....WE......Just like a drink and collect!

I think it will be just you and me in the - The USA & UK Wine & Whiskey Supporters Group.....Total Members....................2

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A buddy of mine just sent me this nice post war net to go with the helmet. I like it!

20170309_120744.jpg

Edited by Afrikakorpsrat64