WW2 US V44 Knife

Afrikakorpsrat64

Dont know much about this blade, got it in a trade. What I have been told is that these were included in the WW2 US Army Air corps escape kits. I have also seen some photo's of US Paratrooper with one. Very nicely made. Looks a hell of a lot like the US civil war confederate Arkansas tooth pick! Very nice blade  and scabbard. 

20170217_113400.jpg

20170217_113414.jpg

20170217_113440.jpg

20170217_113449.jpg

Hello,

Could be WW2, but as not an expert on these look on google to find the makers markings etc. Could be WW1 or very much earlier...possibly the American Civil War? as the sheath is superbly well crafted...I dont think you woul get this in a mass produced knife of WW1 or WW2...Possibly a hand made one considering the super work on the leather sheaf...!!!

But super condition for whatever age, and a wonderful collectors item...Where do you find these?...Not in the UK I am sure!

• Upvote 1

SUPERB.....YOU HAVE FOUND IT...GREAT...I COMMEND YOU, WONDERFUL ITEM TO HAVE IN YOUR COLLECTION...!!!

THE V-44 SURVIVAL KNIFE 

The V-44 survival knife was issued to US Army Air Force personnel in case that they were shot down and needed to survive in the jungles of the South Pacific. The knife was first ordered in 1934. It was considered to be a machete. The knife featured here was manufactured by the Kinfolks company. 

The design of the knife was very imposing. It consisted of a black horn handle secured to the tang via the use of three brass rivets.

v44_ana.jpg 

The crossguard consists of two equal length arms that extend to the left and right and are terminated with circular ends. The blade is of single edge construction. The tip is of bolo type. Two horizontal lines extend for almost half of the length of the body. The manufacturer's logo is found near the base on the spine of the blade. 

The scabbard is made of brown leather. A seam is placed in the back section. A separate piece of leather is riveted to the back to form the belt loop.

v44_ana2.jpg 

WWII US AAF SURVIVAL MACHETE 

This is a US Army Air Force folding machete. As issued during WW2. The machete was part of the B-4 emergency bailout kit. The kit came in a square canvis container which also included other survival items such as a fishing kit, signal mirror, etc. The kit was normally attached to the parachute harness. 

The folding machete consisted of a black horn handle which was secured by a series of different size rivets. A locking mechanism is found in the handle. Pressing the lever allowed for the machete blade to be folded or unfolded. The blade is of single edge construction. it measures approximately 10 inches in length. 

length of the machete when folded is approximately 11 inches. Even when folded the blade extended beyond the protection of the handle. To avoid any cuts or injuries to the user a metal blade cover was also issued with the machete. The cover fits the blade snuggly. The problem with the blade cover is that it was a loose piece that could easily be misplaced. 

foldingm.jpg 

Machetes are very useful for clearing brush, building shelters and other survival activities. 

The WW2 US AAF folding machete was manufactured by Camillus, case and hte cattaraugus company. The manufacturer's logo was found on the side of the blade. an example of such marking is provided in the above photo.

US AIR FORCE PILOT SURVIVAL KNIFE 

This is a US Air Force pilot survival knife. These type of knives began to be issued during the Vietnam war. It was determined that pilots needed a blade that could help them survived in case they were shot down. The space in the modern jet fighters was very limited. The knife had to be small but sturdy. 

Pilots were issued a survival vest. The knife was attached to the vest. 

The scabbard is made of brown leather. The tip is re-enforced with a metal lip that is riveted in multiple places. The front has a small pouch with a flap that has a snap. This is where the flint/sharpening stone is placed. The scabbard is very heavy duty. It has multipe rivets and stiching on the sides. The top section has a couple of slits to allow the belt to pass through. The back of the main body of the scabbard is covered with a metal plate.

pilotknife.jpg 

The design of the knife consists of a brown leather handle. Several indentations are carved into the handle in order to provide better gripping. The pommel has a hexagonal shape. One side normally has the date of construction and the manufacturer's name. Sometimes the date is not present. The pommel could be employed as a hammer. 

The crossguard is of rectangular shape. One side has two small holes. The blade is of single edge construction. The spine is serraed. This feature is particularly useful for cutting branches and similar things. Great for building traps or shelters. 

The tip is Bowie type with it pointing slightly up.

pilotknife_out.jpg 

If you have an interest is seeing other fighting knives, you can do so by going to our Military Fighting Knives Price Guide identification page. Where we cover Army, Navy, Army Air Force, USMC and other military groups. 

While the knives shown on this page are not for sale, you can visit our website, MilitaryItems.com , to see other military and non-military knives available for sale. 

• Upvote 1

Yes Indeed!...Great Item you have found....I wish I could find this in France when I go every year for 2 - 3 months every year around around the "Vide Greniers"...Boot sales...Best Wishes to you...Well Done...Desert Rat

• Upvote 1

I know that since young kids we all had a sheaf knife....(and if we could not afford it, one of Mum's knives taken from the kitchen draw and sharpened up on the pavement, until we tried the blade/ cut our finger and ran indoors for a plaster from..Yes....Mum) then like hunters in the woods where we lived, expecting to find wild animals that we could quickly draw our knife and become a "Hero" with our mates....but then we all seem to have liked guns, air pistols, air rifles then the big stuff shotguns and if you had a licence....Handguns!

Went to the Gun Club back in 90's and a guy brought in a lovely ww2 original schmiesser machine gun....WOW...Fantastic and the noise (despite wearing headphones...It was great!!!