Japanese medic 1st aid pouch

Boonie Stomper

This is my first post as a new member, so errors & blunders are to be expected.  They are not intentional.  I am an older analog guy who has been drug kicking & screaming into the new digital world.

Attached images are of a Japanese medic's pouch from Kiska Is. in the Aleutians.  I had the privilege of friendship with a gentleman from Brome, Quebec who was a member of the famed First Special Service Force (Red Devils).  He participated in all the FSSF major campaigns: Aleutians, Anzio, and the "2nd D-day", Operation Dragoon invasion of southern France, 14 August 1944.  A year earlier, 15 August, 1943, the FSSF landed on Kiska Is. only to find the Japanese had already evacuated.  He picked up this medic's pouch while there.  I was honored to receive many of his things from his widow after his death 5 Dec. 2009.  A strange twist: the FSSF was officially disbanded exactly 65 years earlier, 5 Dec. 1944.

Japanese webbing (fabric & leather) and gear seems to be hard to find.  Perhaps because the Japanese mostly operated in humid, tropical climates.  Has anyone else out there encountered this or like items?  The top is marked with a Red Cross, although I thought that they did not participate with the "Rules of Warfare".  The kanji on the back is hand written so must be the owner's name or outfit.

Jap medic 800.JPG

Jap medic 801.JPG

Jap medic 802.JPG

• Upvote 1

Very Rare and a Great Item.....Where do you find these?......Keep Collecting !!!

Hidden in all my ramblings in the script above the images is my source.  I knew the vet who picked it up during the "invasion" (nobody was there to invade) of Kiska Is.  This friend was in the joint Canada-USA First Special Service Force & participated in all their operations.  

If you are not familiar with the FSSF, check them out on the web.  Incredible bunch & the ancestors of our present day Special Forces.

Thanks for your kind words.

• Upvote 1

As said...Great Collection Item......Must be Very Rare?.....As most Japanese WW2 items are today!