Mystery 60mm mortar round.

Boonie Stomper

My Uncle served as a B-17 bombardier in WW2, and after the Axis surrender he was stationed in Istres, France.  All the .50 cal. guns were removed from the B-17's and replaced with cameras for aerial survey & map making in Europe.  Istres was also used as a storage area for unused German ordnance.  Uncle collected several souvenirs and brought them back to the USA,  I am now the fortunate owner of those things.

On his "bring-back" authorization  papers is "61mm Mortar Bomb-saftied".  (Images below)  You gentlemen are very familiar with artifacts from the European theater, so I am hoping you can confirm from which country this mortar round is from.  I have a US 60mm mortar & it is of different construction.  I suspect that it is German since that what was stored at Istres.  The bomb casing is marked, "ACC 206 NS 38" & the brass fuze has markings in ink, "A.T.S. ???".  The fin assembly is stamped, "DR-35-10-39".  There are traces of black paint remaining.  Question:  Is it German & is the "38" & "39" the year(s) of manufacture.  Thank you.

60mm mortar 787.JPG

60mm mortar 788.JPG

60mm mortar 789.JPG

60mm mortar 790.JPG

• Upvote 1

Hello Boonie,

I have just sold one exactly like this(no primer at the top) and with no markings?

It weighed 3.3 kgs..very heavy, not sure of the length etc/ but I am sure it is the same?

I bought this in a French Brocante back in 2013 and he told me it was either French or Russian....Now I am not sure at all?

Great item though...Best to you...Desert Rat

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.63a1456f72c24bca85ea8bb09e0daec3.JPG

• Upvote 1

60mm apparently was a popular size for many armies--maybe because it was more portable and gave smaller units an extra "punch" when dealing with an entrenched enemy.  I also have a US 60mm & a US 81mm mortar round, and the weight difference is quite a bit.  When guys are packing everything on their backs, smaller would mean more rounds available/ more chances to hurt the bad guys.

#1-US 81mm mortar round (missing fuze) found by my Dad on Corregidor Is.

#2--US 81mm mortar fins with clips for attaching external booster charges.

#3--The mountain next to my high school yielded many of these US 81mm mortar fins to young boonie stompers.  When the bomb detonated, this was left.

#4--Detail of the propellant primer in the tail of the mortar round.

81mm mortar 849.JPG

81mm mortar 850.JPG

81mm mortar 851.JPG

81mm mortar 852.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Major General

I dont think its German.  I am thinking US or French.  German,No.

waff

• Upvote 2

Thanks for that Waff, maybe my one, now sold was French?.....Best to You...Desert Rat

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Many Thanks Boonie.....and Waffenamt...for your valuable knowledge on this...Best to you both...Desert Rat

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mystery solved & Waffenamt you were dead on.  On another forum a gentleman sent me a link.  Type "Brandt HE mortar" in your search & all sorts of info comes up.  Yes, it is French.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Many Thanks Boonie....I was told it was either French or Russian...Now I know....Best to you Desert Rat

• Upvote 1