Some Fleet Air Arm photos

Bil4338

• Major General

Clearingout old documents,I came across my Dads old photos,hope you all like these,taken late to just post war.my father was an officer pilot with the FAA.

1st photo is during training, ca 1944

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Either a spitfire prob adapted for carrier use, or an early sea fire, opinions welcomed.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Oops! This one went over I recall my dad telling me, the pilot sadly lost his life.RIP.

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

Fairly Battle? June 1945

IMG_0265.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General

HMS Ravager, June 1945, crew signatures on reverse.

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

• Major General

Fairly Battle or Firefly? Someone will tell me! Again, on above carrier...

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Seafire Mk.XVII, over Firth of Forth, 1945

IMG_0270.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Mosquito Mk.XII or XIII, PRU type, in USAF markings, RNAS Crail, Dec.1946

IMG_0273.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Seafire Mk. III! taken on V.A.P., Nov.1946...HMS Jackdaw, Crail

IMG_0274.JPG

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Not strictly military, but background is...reverting to civvy life! Note camo'd hangar with worn paint!

Auster Autocrat Mk.V, Yeadon airport, Bradford, Aug.1947

IMG_0272.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

And finally, Percival Proctor, Mk.III, Yeadon airport, Aug.1947, dad on right.

IMG_0271.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Some instruction books....

image.jpg

• Major General

And hobby books...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed a different perspective for a wee change!

• Upvote 1

Hello Bil,

All these items you sent for us all at MCN......Are Superb!....What Great Memories of a Hero of England.....Well Done & Thank You

• Upvote 1

Bil.....I could tick everyone as they are ....Absolutely Superb!!!......Thankyou so much...Desert Rat

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Cheers ratty!

maybe even a hero of Scotland...or of the UK & the Commonwealth, but I know where you're coming from....he did his bit!

• Upvote 1

Hey Bil,

There are so many Heroes of Scotland....going back to when they fought the English...When I saw the film Braveheart...it was Magnificent, but what they all suffered was appalling by the English....That's why when I go to France and all the people I know...I tell them I would prefer to be a Scot than an "Roast Beef"....That's why my middle name is Robertson ...after one of the oldest clans in Scotland.....YEHHHHHHHHH..........SCOTLAND THE BRAVE...!!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 10:16, Desert Rat said:

Hey Bil,

There are so many Heroes of Scotland....going back to when they fought the English...When I saw the film Braveheart...it was Magnificent, but what they all suffered was appalling by the English....That's why when I go to France and all the people I know...I tell them I would prefer to be a Scot than an "Roast Beef"....That's why my middle name is Robertson ...after one of the oldest clans in Scotland.....YEHHHHHHHHH..........SCOTLAND THE BRAVE...!!!

Ahhh Brave heart, great film! There is also a good book on Robert the Bruce. But the Brave heart movie brought me to cheers and tears. Some stretches on fact but all in all a good film. and yes SCOTLAND THE BRAVE! Alba gu bràth

Great History there @Bil4338! Thanks for sharing. 

• Upvote 1

Hello Tony,

Well my Mum is a Scot from Motherwell/ Wishaw and her middle name was  - Robertson - so I am Ian Robertson Bridle.../Bridle is my Dad's name as being born in the UK...but my Mum's family (her Mother originated from Balleymena, Northern Ireland in the 1900's) and married a Scot.. Andrew Robertson Strachan....whewwwwwww....complicated, but they all had many children.....My Mum's aunt Jemima had 15 children..ooooohhhhh..how they all managed with poor food, no heating, no hot water....God only knows..a Terrible life for them all during that time until the 1950's.....My Grandmother used to walk the railway lines 3 days a week with her friends to find pieces of coal that dropped off the engine etc.in the late 1900's....to heat the water for a tin bath in front of the fire for her husband and family - The Dad would go first, the eldest next, then at last my Mum...ALL IN THE SAME WATER, JUST TOPPED UP TO KEEP IT WARM....Incredible...How Lucky we All Are Today...God Bless Their Endurance and Suffering...For Us Left Today...!!!

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Tony,

Well my Mum is a Scot from Motherwell/ Wishaw and her middle name was  - Robertson - so I am Ian Robertson Bridle.../Bridle is my Dad's name as being born in the UK...but my Mum's family (her Mother originated from Balleymena, Northern Ireland in the 1900's) and married a Scot.. Andrew Robertson Strachan....whewwwwwww....complicated, but they all had many children.....My Mum's aunt Jemima had 15 children..ooooohhhhh..how they all managed with poor food, no heating, no hot water....God only knows..a Terrible life for them all during that time until the 1950's.....My Grandmother used to walk the railway lines 3 days a week with her friends to find pieces of coal that dropped off the engine etc.in the late 1900's....to heat the water for a tin bath in front of the fire for her husband and family - The Dad would go first, the eldest next, then at last my Mum...ALL IN THE SAME WATER, JUST TOPPED UP TO KEEP IT WARM....Incredible...How Lucky we All Are Today...God Bless Their Endurance and Suffering...For Us Left Today...!!!

My grandmother on my moms side was from Edinburgh, and I believe i had another relative from Glasgow, my dads side all came from Ireland, Belfast and County Armagh. I am second generation to the USA. Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

Well, what a coincidence....cant believe it what a small world....a Scot   Great!

• Major General

Well, my grandfather was from Belfast, settled in Glasgow with his wife from the Isle of Skye.our own Lenny hails from Wishaw!

its common for Scots to have mixed ancestry, from within Ireland and Great Britain.when you add in migration to the USA    and the new world it creates a myriad of possibilities coincidences and whatnot.a fascinating area worthy of much research, but I digress....

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bil,

My Mum has relatives that went to the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand back in the 1900's and later. We may be related somewhere down the line...!

• 1 month later...