RFC Mapcase grouping

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I suppose the latest addition to the collection falls under the paperwork section. Quite interesting mapcase which came from a relative whose great grandfather was in the RFC which contains a German airforce map of Brit artillery positions at Arras, and a British map sectioned around Givenchy. Has the owners military number stamped in ink in the leather so currently trying to trace. Nice to see bits like this still turn up !. 

IMG_2653.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

Very Nice Item....Where do you find these...I am always looking but find nothing....Lucky Man & Well Done...Superb Item!...Best to You D/ Rat

• 1 month later...

These are pretty rare Fred and bloody hard to find intact, especially the maps, they normally rot out through damp, or pests

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Really need to chase up the owners details stamped in the flap, it's on the to do list. Along with a whole lot else which never seems to get shorter !. :$

If I can help, let me know the details, A mate of mine has all the WW1 names and numbers of all those killed and served, he might have the details of RFC as well

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

That would work Dave I'm at the heritage centre tomorrow so I will pull it out the cabinet and send some pics mate. 

Much appreciated  ;).

Paul

Hello Paul,

I hope this may help you.........2/Lt. John James Nicholls, 103 Sqdn: age 24, native of Barrow-in-Furness, Observer, KIA in DH9 D7249 on the Western Front. Was flying with Lt G B Hett who was unhurt. Date is given as 30/10/18.

2Lt J J Nichols was the observer in DH9 D7249 of No 103 Sqn RAF, with Lt G B Hett as his pilot, when killed in action on 30 October 1918. They were returning from a low level raid on Roubaix aerodrome when engaged in combat which saw them credited with shooting down two Fokker D.VIIs. 2Lt Nicholls was fatally wounded in this action and died the next day.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12990-ww1-aircrew/

Lovely Rare Item....Best Wishes...IanB/ Desert Rat

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Ian where is that from mate ?, I don't believe that Barrow is directly across the bay from where we live o.O is there just one J J Nicholls do you know ?  You can make the name out but I am struggling with the other stamp but if it was his you can see a 10? Stamp which would point to his squadron as above 

Bloody hell blown away with that, gobsmacked like say Barrow is about 30mins from us. I just wonder if the maps can provide any information on this actually belonging to him. 

Cheers mate really appreciated it would be fantastic if I can tie it down to him 100%.

Will do some googling lol, cheers Ian.

Paul 

Hello Paul,

Well, if it is him I can't believe he lives near you WOW!

That is the only J.J. Nicholls I can find.....You know I bet it's him.....I hope so, as maybe he is buried in his home town?.....mmmmmm Have to try and find out. Do you have any writing on the maps etc that may indicate/ give positive proof they are his personal maps?

I can't make out the other stamps on the map case...will try with a magnifying glass!

Will let you know if I find any more info...Best to you...Ian

Hello Paul,

You mentioned on the stamp (ink? stamp) number - 10....is there a number 3 after the 10.....? If so that could indicate very strongly that it was him in 103 Sqn...?

Ian

Guest Fred Karno's Army
14 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Paul,

I hope this may help you.........2/Lt. John James Nicholls, 103 Sqdn: age 24, native of Barrow-in-Furness, Observer, KIA in DH9 D7249 on the Western Front. Was flying with Lt G B Hett who was unhurt. Date is given as 30/10/18.

2Lt J J Nichols was the observer in DH9 D7249 of No 103 Sqn RAF, with Lt G B Hett as his pilot, when killed in action on 30 October 1918. They were returning from a low level raid on Roubaix aerodrome when engaged in combat which saw them credited with shooting down two Fokker D.VIIs. 2Lt Nicholls was fatally wounded in this action and died the next day.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12990-ww1-aircrew/

Lovely Rare Item....Best Wishes...IanB/ Desert Rat

I will have to go over them properly to be honest I know there are a couple of markings on the Brit one, but the German one has all the red and blue pencil positions marked on it I wonder how the heck he came across that if it's his case.

I am back in the museum Tuesday mate so will go over them all then. Honestly can't believe he's local to us, the case and maps came from down south if I remember rightly.

@Norrie see this thread mate about the case in the museum, gobsmacked!

Guest Fred Karno's Army
5 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Paul,

You mentioned on the stamp (ink? stamp) number - 10....is there a number 3 after the 10.....? If so that could indicate very strongly that it was him in 103 Sqn...?

Ian

I honestly can't make it out but does look like 10 something could it be Lieut ? I wonder 

looks more like LIET ?

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Ok guys, here is the info, Lt J J Nicholls as above from desert Rat, He was actually in the RAF after being in the RFC as the change over date was !st April 1918, aged 24 kia , buried in Lille Southern Cemetary, Plot 1, Row A, grave 23. Parents were Benjamin and Constance Nicholls who lived at No/ 8 Yarlside Road, Barrow in Furnace

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
17 minutes ago, Davejb said:

Ok guys, here is the info, Lt J J Nicholls as above from desert Rat, He was actually in the RAF after being in the RFC as the change over date was !st April 1918, aged 24 kia , buried in Lille Southern Cemetary, Plot 1, Row A, grave 23. Parents were Benjamin and Constance Nicholls who lived at No/ 8 Yarlside Road, Barrow in Furnace

Cheers Dave this is great, just googled him and it's brought loads up including a picture of him. The maps seem to tie in with his area of ops from what I am reading at a quick glance, think it's made its way home, just can't believe the poor lad was from so close to us. Really going to do some serious research now, you guys are stars !.

Really, really appreciated. It's safe in the RFC cabinet in the exhibition where it's going to stay !.

Paul 

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3148.PNG

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Dave & I are only too pleased to assist....He has a great knowledge of WW1 & WW2.....I am Just a beginner!

Very Best Wishes Paul & Dave...Thanks for showing us these superb items...

Image result for images of 103 squadron rfc

Copyright Image of 103 Squadron....Courtesy of - DAVID WILLIAM FELL

Web Master - D W Fell at 103squadronraf@gmail.com This website and its content is copyright of David William Fell and/or the contributors. All rights reserved. See Copyright Notice at the bottom of the Homepage. For latest updates see Notices and News page

( I tried to contact Mr Fell but unable to so I have credited him with the Sole Script and Sole Image Copyright)

In memory of the Brave RFC Pilots, Observers who fought high above over the skies of France & Belgium...Who Sacrificed their Young Lives.....We Remember You..!!!

Hello Norrie,

Great Item Paul has found....and super history with it!

I hope you and your family are well & Best Wishes...IanB/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

I,m glad that I could provide additional info on this subject, but to be honest I cannot take full credit for it, my friend, who IS a WW1 historian has an amazing research library and can give thousands of details on all those killed in WW1 and many in WW2, he is also able to provide the death memorial certificates relating to a specific person., and prints them off in full with all the relevant details, he has provided me with certificates on my own family relatives who were killed during WW1

• Upvote 2