8th Army Air Force Class A uniform

Boonie Stomper

Boonie Stomper here--been out for a bit,  Recently had shoulder surgery & have time off from work, so now I am able get back to what's really important--this Militaria Forum.

Got a break from the almost constant rain, so yesterday was able to get some pictures taken & into my digital library.  More of my incredible Uncle's stuff.

In WW2, my Uncle was trained as a bombardier in the B-17, with the the 8th AAF.   In February 1945 was assigned to the 306th Bomb Group, stationed in Thurleigh, Bedfordshire.  After more training there, he took part in his first mission 6 April 1945, target Leipzig.  

After so much training, he wanted to be flying missions, but sadly it didn't happen.  A few bombardiers were picked from each squadron to train more on the "Mickey H2X" radar "Bombing Through Overcast".  He was still training in Alconbury, UK when the European war ended 8 May 1945.  However, since he was trained for radar bombing, he was authorized to wear the Pathfinder patch on his right sleeve cuff.  This makes his Class A tunic very un-common & valuable to collectors.  His kids are quite happy to let me have all his WW2 stuff, and I am quite happy also.

#1 USAAF Class A tunic.

#2 Official Pathfinder insignia.

#3 Uncle's customized Pathfinder patch.  Worn on right sleeve & he wanted flames & wings going aft, so had it customized in the UK.

#4 8th AAF shoulder patch--also custom made in the UK, with gold & silver bullion thread.

#5 Presidential Unit Citation bar.

#6 Bombardier's wings and ribbons.

#7 Medals (L-R) America Campaign/ Europe, Africa, & Middle East Campaign/ Army of Occupation/ WW2 Victory.

#8 Summer & winter caps.  Reinforcing rings removed for that "50 mission crush cap" look.

#9 Uncle (in front of star) & his crew in training.

#10 Uncle ready for mission.  Thurleigh, UK

FMB Class A tunic, best.JPG

Pathfinder insinia.gif

FMB Pathfinder, best.JPG

FMB 8th AAF bullion, best.JPG

FMB Presidential unit citation.JPG

FMB Bomb Wings & ribbons, best.JPG

FMB medals & ribbons.JPG

FMB USAAF caps. Khaki-summer, OD green-winter.JPG

FMB & misc-017.jpg

FMB & misc-018.jpg

• Upvote 2

Superb Items & Images....All the USAAF 8th were all Heroes especially daylight raids to Germany and to the "Big City"...Berlin

I think it was over 350, 000 that were killed...We Remember Them!

B17 HIT BY GERMAN FIGHTER.jpg

5YOUD00Z.jpg

WW 1 & 2 PHOTOS FOR STORY 044.jpg

• Upvote 2

THANK YOU .....AND ALL THOSE THAT SERVED IN THE 8TH USAAF.....WE CANNOT FORGET THE HORROR THEY ALL SUFFERED AND THE BRAVERY AND HEROISM...IS DUE RESPECTFULLY ..TO THEM ALL.....FOR THE 350, 000 LOST.....OUR REMEMBRANCE OF THEM IS OUR DUTY...!!!

• Upvote 1