Ghurka items--hat & medals

Boonie Stomper

This may be a bit late, but we send our sympathies to our allies across the pond for the recent Manchester tragedy.  Not much that I can say which has not been already said, but I find it incomprehensible the evil that some do in the name of "God" or "Allah".

In 1971 I had the privilege to visit my incredible aunt in Kathmandu, Nepal.  For many years she worked as a missionary medical nurse in India, Nepal, & Tibet, helping the lives of many, doing good in the name of her God.  At that time I was already very interested in the Ghurka's military history, and I was able to purchase a few items and visit a military museum there.

Some of the pictures that follow are of medals that were sold in the market in Kathmandu.  All the medals are lacking the ribbons, and all have the Ghurka's name & ouftit stamped around the edge or on the back.  it's rather sad that the poverty in Nepal forced soldiers to sell their medals.

#1 to #3  Ghurka hat.  The "NEPAUL" spelling must be from WW 1 ??

#4  Buttons.  The copper buttons with NEPAUL & brass ones with NEPAL.  WW 1 & WW 2 ??

#5, #6  Medals, top 2 are WW 1.  "The great war for civilisation 1914 - 1919"   Are we really civilised?

#7, #8  Khukri, with "chakmak" (for sharpening) and "karda" (small blade).  Probably a flashy tourist model.

Ghurka 2.JPG

Ghurka 4.JPG

Ghurka 5.JPG

Ghurka buttons 1 (best).JPG

UK medals, front.JPG

UK medals, rear.JPG

Khukri & acc. 3.JPG

Khukri. chakmak & karda (sm. blade).JPG

• Upvote 1

Superb Items Boonie.....Great to have any Ghurka Items even a button! for these men were the Bravest of maybe all Forces in all Wars.

Also Thank you sincerely for your thoughts about the Manchester attack...The same as in the US and across the World......This is WW3...!!!

Thanks for showing us these images and your story.....Fantastic.....Best to you...Desert Rat,

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Upvote 1

Hello Boonie,

Just to say I had the Honour to meet Johanson Beharry VC....In Tunbridge Wells a few years ago at a "Tigers" march through the town...A lovely  Man and a Hero!

Here is an image of me taking the images of the "Tigers" Marching through the town...I hope you like it.

I am on the left hand side crouching down....with the bald head in dressed in black(which I always wear as riding a Harley) for 25 years

Best to you....Desert Rat

wink taking photos tun wells parade.jpg

• Upvote 2