WW1 German Pocket Watch

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I picked this up a few months ago for the museum, I have seen the pressed steel covers before but it was nice to have this in its original pouch and still containing the original pocket watch. After further research we can confirm the owner isn't listed as killed so he must have survived the Great War thankfully.

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Excellent Item....All original and etched with the owners name during the Great War.....What a Superb Watch, Great Find Len!

Best Wishes...IanB/ Desert Rat

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Cheers Ian, it came from a lady in Rhyl who believed it had been brought back from the Western front sometime during the Great War by her great grandfather but had no further details regarding her grandfathers service or regiment.

Excellent piece of history there, and quite a rarity to be found in that condition, especially with the case and named, I would imagine that you could be talking a couple of hundred if not more, it all depends on the internal movement and maker, some of these old watches were made by very well known jewellers houses, especially German ones and Swiss

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It's in a cabinet now in the museum Dave, it does work too I forgot to mention. Lost 4 mins in 3 days !.

IMG_1933.JPG

What can I say Len......Just Excellent...!!!...Best to you...Ian

Hello Len,

Trying to find the soldier it belonged to....but can't make out the complete name?

Any Ideas and send it to me...Wilhelm Kemnlers.???????

Best to you...IanB

Guest Fred Karno's Army

We read it as 

Wilhelm  Hennerschmidt if I remember rightly Ian.

IMG_3178.PNG

Thanks Len,

I will try and find it and see, but you have to go through the website about all the dead in WW1....mmmmmmmmm...What a job, I will see what I can do?

Best to you...Ian

Hello Len,

I have searched and searched and can't find any info on the soldier who owned this watch...I will keep looking and let you know if I find anything....Best Wishes..IanB

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text