British helmet - 1939 - Found in Brussels Belgium

Schwerpunkt

The only British helmet in my collection , I bought it because it was found in Brussels in 2014 by another collector together with a German infantry NCO visor which I also bought.

Anybody have an idea on the V with three dots next to it ? Victory sign springs to mind but maybe it is something else ?

britishhelmet 001.JPG

britishhelmet 002.JPG

britishhelmet 003.JPG

britishhelmet 004.JPG

DSC01512.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

BMB 1/1939.first pattern liner with oval pad made, it appears, also by BMB....Briggs Motor Bodies of Dagenham, later bought over by Ford postwar.

V in morse code is three dots, so I'd assume that this reads V-(instead of =) ... , V for victory, the owners' own celebration of victory in Europe!

altogether a very nicely patinated helmet which probably saw some action and in great condition.one I'd be very comfortable to have on my shelf!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with Bil,, a nice been there look to it, and the dots do make sense (V), I would assume the owner did this as an indication that V was the dots in morse just so people would know the meaning. I must admit I cant remember seeing another like this, so it does give the helmet character, which is what you want on these, plain ones are two a penny, any kind of original markings increase the market value, and indeed it is a nice lid to have

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thank you gentlemen , very helpful info.

So probably a helmet that got left behind by a soldier celebrating the liberation of Brussels in 1944 or VE day 1945.

• Like 1

Thats quite possible , either way its an interesting subject matter and the fact its totally original makes the helmet pretty desirable, now lets see the German NCO infantry Visor:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2