Museums in Mainland Europe

HetzersGonnaHetz

Even though I'm quite young I have been able to visit many places such as Normandy, Munich, Obersalzburg, Arras, Ypres, The Somme, The Ardennes and I will be re-visiting the Somme this year as I won a ballot ticket for the centrenary ceremony at Thiepval.

I love visiting museums and was wondering where you guys have been and would suggest.

I hope to go to Dunkirk, areas on the Eastern Front and Berlin in the future so any museums in these areas would be appreciated.

Here a few good ones in the areas I've been:

Normandy:- Overlord Museum, Juno Beach museum, Pegasus Bridge Museum...                         (There's also a great museum at Mont Ormel about the Falaise Pocket with a beautiful Polish 1st Armoured Sherman)

Ypres:- Passchendaele Museum, Sanctuary Wood museum, Hooge museum....

The Somme:- Delville Wood centre....                                                                                                           (Thiepval Memorial museum as of 1st July 2016)

If you want any suggestions from other places I've been to just ask :)

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Get yerself over to Foys Wood and the museum at Bastogne Barracks. Superb!

• Upvote 1

Again in Berlin the Soviet War Memorials at Treptower Park and the Tiergarten.

Both are impressive but the sheer scale of the Treptower Park Memorial is extremely moving 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of this guide book a couple of years ago.....Started to line off the one's I've visited...Still plenty to go...OH YES!!!!!!:P

Can recommend it.........There's a WW1 version as well.

1400-musees-europe-1939-1945-1.thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

@Libertesoe Looks  great, I might get it and tick them off as I go, I don't think I'll be able to see all 1400 though... 

Here's one I visited with my son in Mannheim, Germany 2014. My son had gone over to study in Mainz for a year so I volunteered (wasn't difficult) to take him over and get him settled in.....even fitted in a trip to the Remagen Bridge!

There wasn't very much WW2 related in Mainz but a google search (http://zgma.de) pulled up a small private museum located in a quiet suburb , inside an Air Raid Shelter in Mannheim. Dirk Schulz, the curator owns and runs the place. He couldn't have been more helpful and even met my son and I at the central station, took us to the suburbs, opened up the museum and gave us a private tour. His interest lies in the area itself, pre WW2, during WW2 and the Post War period. It was amazing to see what his display consisted of ...oh and I forgot to mention the Anti Aircraft gun that sits outside and can be played with. There is a primary school located at the rear of the building and the local head teacher is very supportive of his efforts and regularly visits with the kids for a history lesson deliver by Dirk, in Luftschutz Uniform no less!!!!!!! He displays many artefacts including SA, Luftwaffe, SS and concludes with a display of American Uniforms which is first rate.This has a personal connection as he was employed by them as an Air Traffic Controller.

Here are some pics .....

IMG_1009.thumb.jpg.c36b5e3c279ec636b917eIMG_1011.thumb.jpg.e487ca9e077851aaf2acaIMG_1028.thumb.jpg.02400005ae448d20f2f6bIMG_1029.thumb.jpg.f180e5c3850e370aada34IMG_0976.thumb.jpg.c8279ab6eac44141155acIMG_1034.thumb.jpg.afebf76341d050a515998IMG_1043.thumb.jpg.6a4ec7d5b13af2a903c40IMG_1044.thumb.jpg.743184c819eb383c5c176IMG_1046.thumb.jpg.69538634628b6b0fe45a5

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

@Libertesoe Looks  great, I might get it and tick them off as I go, I don't think I'll be able to see all 1400 though... 

You could try though!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Libertesoe said:

You could try though!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I will, Dirk Schulz seems like quite the character, his museum looks awesome !!!

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
On 21 February 2016 at 15:36, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

Even though I'm quite young I have been able to visit many places such as Normandy, Munich, Obersalzburg, Arras, Ypres, The Somme, The Ardennes and I will be re-visiting the Somme this year as I won a ballot ticket for the centrenary ceremony at Thiepval.

I love visiting museums and was wondering where you guys have been and would suggest.

I hope to go to Dunkirk, areas on the Eastern Front and Berlin in the future so any museums in these areas would be appreciated.

Here a few good ones in the areas I've been:

Normandy:- Overlord Museum, Juno Beach museum, Pegasus Bridge Museum...                         (There's also a great museum at Mont Ormel about the Falaise Pocket with a beautiful Polish 1st Armoured Sherman)

Ypres:- Passchendaele Museum, Sanctuary Wood museum, Hooge museum....

The Somme:- Delville Wood centre....                                                                                                           (Thiepval Memorial museum as of 1st July 2016)

If you want any suggestions from other places I've been to just ask :)

That's your Sherman in falaise 1982 :D

image.jpeg

@Ham & Jam It's a beautiful view from the top of Mont. Ormel when you stand next to the Sherman isn't it

Guest Fred Karno's Army
8 minutes ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

@Ham & Jam It's a beautiful view from the top of Mont. Ormel when you stand next to the Sherman isn't it

88' Country. ;)

Hard to think that in '44 all you could see is mangled corpses of humans and horses.

Not quite mainland Europe but the Channel Islands Military museum is a great little place, housed in a German bunker

• Upvote 1

No worries mate, cheers for the info...