Need info on cleaning cat urine from a rare German uniform

jmnjohn

I was lucky enough to get a super rare Original ww2 nazi SS personal waiters uniform from the Berghof (White Jacket and Black Slacks) Problem is my friends Husband did not hang this and his cat urinated on them ... Anyone have any luck cleaning this or are there Professional cleaners who do this ???? Thx JohnQQ17052301 - 05-23-2017-1114 (1).pdf 

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

IMG_1233.JPG

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

What a fantastic item.....Worth????? Sorry have no idea how to clean this, but many Thanks for showing us all at MCN....Great Item....Lucky Man...!!!

• Upvote 1

Well its certainly a great item and I would think extremely rare, the problem here is that I doubt if any professional cleaning firms would take this on, baring in mind its rarity, price ,and subject matter. Modern cleaning products used in these shops could have an adverse affect on the old material, they might even insist that all badges be removed . You could always try a museum that deals in historic costumes, they may be able to advise you better, but seeing that cat pee has been there for some time, it could have permanently changed the material colour of the fibres, after all, any type of urine contains acids and enzymes. I really hope you can get it cleaned to an acceptable standard as its a very desirable piece, I would also wait to see if any of our costume collectors on here have any suggestions, good luck with it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Davejb.....Very well explained....My Commendation for your experience to you!

Best Wishes....Desert Rat/ IanB

• 1 year later...

Hello JM,

Thanks for showing these superb items, all I can say is that be careful if you take this to a cleaners, as most certainly ...You do NOT want the ID tags, the makersor owners marks eroded away by cleaning. Maybe just a fragrant water and mild shampoo would do this and just clean gently the urine/ smelly parts.

I, hope all goes well & Many Thanks for showing us on MCN.

Best to you....Desert Rat/ IanB/UK

• 3 months later...

Are you sure it is even genuine? The stiching directly below the name looks very new to say it would have been worn?

• 5 months later...
On 12/03/2019 at 18:14, Richard Auld said:

Are you sure it is even genuine? The stiching directly below the name looks very new to say it would have been worn?

From a fuzzy and blurred picture,which would look even more fuzzier and blurred once zoomed-in,would be impossible even to have a reasonable doubt,let alone judging it correctly.

This tunic,genuine or not,may have a fresh-looking collar just because it may have never been worn,and even it it has been worn a few times wearing a shirt was mandatory!

3 hours ago, Manu Della Valle said:

From a fuzzy and blurred picture,which would look even more fuzzier and blurred once zoomed-in,would be impossible even to have a reasonable doubt,let alone judging it correctly.

This tunic,genuine or not,may have a fresh-looking collar just because it may have never been worn,and even it it has been worn a few times wearing a shirt was mandatory!

Would you buy it for your collection?

You like the Dachau stamp?

Edited by Richard Auld

4 hours ago, Richard Auld said:

Would you buy it for your collection?

You like the Dachau stamp?

Focalise on the stamp then and NOT on the collar stitching 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I would suggest vinegar and baking soda.  There are also powerful cat urine cleaners on the internet.  If you go that route, I would only clean a very small portion to see if there is any undesired effect.  Nothing stinks like cat pee.