Japanese T90 IJN helmet

Davejb

Hi guys, I need some help. I recently picked up a T90 IJN helmet, no insignias or liner, rivets etc, so basically a shell. I,m going to have to restore it sympathetically, but I,ve been on every site I can think off to find out where and how all the rivets are fixed on and what they do, I know that the liner has three larger rivets that secure the liner inside with three metal rings but there are much smaller rivets that go around the helmet, what do these do??, If someone has a T90 in reasonable shape and can show me how everything is attached I would be very grateful especially if you can go step by step with photos, cheers |Dave

• Upvote 1

Hi Dave I will take some better pics for you this Afternoon of the liner band and fastners of my IJA Type 90 but here is one of the back fastener hope it helps a little 

20882945_1839317722761977_8478024822193704293_n.jpg

Here is a written comparison between Army and Navy liners upon the type 90 Japanese steel helmet that were shared with me by Oliver lock .the Army issued helmets come in two sizes large and small and thus marked there liners by punching ( kanji characters to the rear left side of the liner joint seam and sewed the joint together using 3 tack stitches . The Navy only issued in general large size helmets and used only 2 tack stitches and formed in an X in thread between the two tacks.. This image below shows the fastener in a little better detail and is from an IJN helmet..     photo credit to Oliver Lock ..

20863705_1921815754744229_2854246865305029132_o.jpg

Edited by Mark K

And lastly Dave an over all shot of the liner from my type 90 which is an IJA with an IJN liner that has been period installed..I will take a few more pics later in the day...

20915150_1839317656095317_380349303315469302_n (1).jpg

Edited by Mark K

And one of the exterior of the helmet body I will as mentioned do a little more investigation for you later in the day.. 

20841060_1839317789428637_3539152954801022864_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dave as best as I can tell thee small rivets are machine set and I am reluctant to disassemble my example for a closer look..

P1070549.JPG

Mark ,Thanks so much, thats a great  start, its a long lime since I had one which I found on an old bomb site back in the late 60s, what are those very small pairs of rivets actually for and how do they result in the inner liner, is there a securing ring attached to hold the sides of the liner, apart from the three main large rivets, two at the temples and one at the rear, I,ve been trying to find photos of a helmet without liner but one that still shows all the internal  rings , plus whats attached to the small pairs of rivets but to date no luck. I notice that your helmet shows the Army star rather than the IJN anchor, were there two types for the Navy

• Upvote 1

Dave my type 90 is a bit odd for some reason my IJA helmet had an IJN liner installed it is thought to have been period done as nothing appears to be messed with and the liner has been in it for eons and the liner is attributed to a IJA soldier his name was Fujisawa and he served with the 1st Calvary .. Now as to those those very small pairs of rivets that you see around the circumference of the helmet body there sole purpose was to attach a small bracket to hold the rings for the chinstrap to pass through here is an example below of said bracket ..

013.JPG

A bit hard to make out Dave but you can just make out how the leather has been cut away to slip by the bracket for the chinstrap rings...

P1070551.JPG

The leather liner is held directly in place by the three larger rivets and the tabs are just plainly folded over as can be seen in the images below

P1070548.JPG

Edited by Mark K

Mark, thanks a million, you have helped to answer all my questions plus very detailed photos, I could,nt have asked for more, and provided a good link, I can safely proceed without worries and hopefully make a reasonable job of careful restoration, albeit i will have to make the smaller rivets and the internal staple for the chinstrap, Thanks again ,cheers Dave

• Upvote 2

No worries @Davejb if you need a hand with the staples please let me know as I could likely put something together for you in the metal shop here at work ..

Regards Mark 

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Or failing that there's a guy in the US who sells sets of metalwork for Japanese lids, Joel Chan I think his name is...

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys, both helpful ideas, I,m not 100% sure but I,ve seen something very similar to these staples in a local shop, so I will see if I can make do with them , if not I might try to make my own as I,m pretty handy with making things, if that fails I will take up both suggestions and see what happens, I think the hardest things to find will be the actual right size rivets, but again I might be able to find something or make them. There is a company in America that makes liners and the larger rivets and badge and tapes for the T90 helmet, its called the Priarie leather comp, so that part of the build should go ok, plus the whole set is pretty reasonable in price  and shipping is cheap

• Upvote 3

• Major General

Yep, the Prairie Flower Leather Company, PFLCo. Dealt with them, great service and relatively fast expedition.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Evening @Davejb sorry for the late reply to this post but just wanted to share a little update with you .My apauligies I have just managed to finish the liner retention staples last night and they will be in the mail tomorrow the task was a bit more daunting than I first thought the challenge was drilling 1.5 mm holes for the rivets and I went through a few samples till I could get it right  they have been heated and quenched in high carbon oil so in essance the steel should be case hardened..

20170925_173623.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mark, thats fantastic, they look great, Cant wait to get them , Thanks so much, a real professional job 

• Like 2

You are more than welcome @Davejb sorry for the delay mate there is one spare in there that is a bit off for you to experiment with you will be able to tell because one hole is slightly drilled off centre.. Give them a good wipe down when you get them as there is still a bit of carbon/ oil residue left on them from the quench...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to mention that it's Great on MCN..as we are always enlightened by others who share their knowledge about Militaria, shows their images of collected items, that helps us with many items that we are uncertain of and can kindly assist each other.....Thank You All.....!

• Upvote 1