RAF crash axe?

Boonie Stomper

Been AWOL for a few months--life can be quite busy.

I was employed as an aircraft technician by a US air freight company.  They flew worn out passenger planes converted to cargo carriers.  I worked on the Fokker F27's, the -500 and -600 models.  At one point they were scrapping out a few of them.  All were (by regulation) equipped with crash axes.  I was able to get this one.

That is obviously the British "broad arrow" & the 1944 date is self-explanatory.  Am I safe to assume, since it is an aviation crash axe, that it is probably from an RAF bomber?

Crash axe 1.JPG

Crash axe 2.JPG

Crash axe 3.JPG

• Like 2

I know the ground fire crews were issued with these, but I,m unsure if the bombers carried them, either way its a very nice and historic piece and in excellent condition

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I know in the Lanc they were stowed under the pilots seat.And also next to the upper escape hatch, and rear entrance door.

F74B5DFA-BB69-40CA-AA17-D737BD733EEE.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Thank you gentlemen.  I wish it could tell me it's story.

• Like 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Don’t forget they were also used in gliders too, here’s a good example. June the 5th 44.

Carried in Horsa, Hamilcar and Hotspur . Not sure about the Waco.

2236CF01-9065-4588-AE25-3766EFDAFC60.jpeg

Brilliant Paul....Great Image and thanks for showing us....These must have been used in many aircraft etc...to get out quickly if there was a crash or fire?

Best T You....Ian

Thank you very, very much. That is an incredible picture.  I really like clear & in-focus WW2 photos because of the equipment detail that they show.  Also the Lanc diagram.

• Like 1

Hello Boonie,

Thanks for your kind comments, you may like this Lancaster blueprint.

Best to you...Ian

LANCASTER BLUEPRINT.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ian............thanks very much for that diagram.  It is so detailed & complete that I reckon that I'll be able to start building my very own Lanc. in my garage.

When they scrapped out those F27's, I was able to get 2 of those fire axes--the 1944 one in this post, and a much more modern one (no markings).  The classic 1944 one is my collection, never to be used.  The new one is by my bed, and it could be a very effective weapon to discourage un-welcome visitors.  I can see why those para's nicked them out of the gliders after "landing".  Would make a nice back-up, back-up weapon.  (See link)

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviation-history/raf-air-ministry-marked-escape-axe-11010/

• Like 1

Thanks Boonie,

Glad you have found two fire axes....very good for display and etc....I think you may need one of these which maybe more effective than the axe (It's a joke) If you have a big enough pillow to cover it?

Best to you...IanB/ UK

medium.cm_20130117_02278_001.jpg.e54ecb3d3af584a245616a593c8f0a20.jpg

• Upvote 1