RAAF Camo Uniforms?

Boonie Stomper

My wife's uncle was KIA (US Army) in New Guinea 28 April 1944 and the family seems to know very little about it, so I have been doing research.  He was involved in Operation Reckless (landing at Hollandia) and Operation Persecution, a simultaneous landing at Aitape on the north coast of N.G.  He was with the Persecution landing who's goal was to secure the Japanese airfields at Tadji, which they accomplished the first day.  The invasion also included No. 62 Works Wing engineers of the RAAF, who were to make the airstrips operational to support further action.

Some of the photos that I found, show Aussies in camo uniforms & they appear to be one-piece coverall types.  The US tried these & they were very un-popular since it was very difficult to take a crap....and with dysentery, this happened frequently & without warning.  Do any of you have further information on this (the camo uniforms;  not taking a crap)?

#5= 4-22-44,Captured_Tadji_airfield_at_Aitape_with_Lockheed_P38_Lightning_aircraft.jpg

The airstrip at Tadji.

#4= 4-22-44, US troops on Aitape beach.jpg

US Army invasion beach, Aitape.

#8=4=23=44,RAAF_Ground_Crews_searching_for_souvenirs.jpg

Those camo uniforms, RAAF No. 62 Works Wing.

thumbnail_IMG-2624.jpg

Grave of my wife's uncle.

Edited by Boonie Stomper
  • Thanks 1

Hello Boonie,

Commendations for your account and the images for us all to see.

Best Wishes....IanB/ UK

• Upvote 1

Hello Boonie,

Here are a few images of when I went to Normandy this year from a Magnificent U.S. Cemetery above Omaha Beach.....I think over 10, 000 US soldiers lie here, Sad to visit it considering all what these "Boys" suffered and Sacrificed...But so Beautifully kept....We Remember Them...!

(All images are sole copyright of Ian R. Bridle  www.edenbridgetown.com )

Best Wishes...IanB/ UK

IMGP3636.JPG

IMGP3646.JPG

IMGP3652.JPG

IMGP3659.JPG

IMGP3665.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On another forum dedicated to M1 carbines,  I posted this picture of the US Army (163d Reg. Combat Team, 41st Inf. Div.) hitting the Aitape, PNG beach 22 April 1944.  It's a very clear photo which clearly show the soldier's gear.  

Another forum member (very observant) spotted the wedding ring on the 2nd soldier's lft hand.  That is quite sad & it shows the un-reported cost of war.  Even if this guy survived the war, his wife/ family certainly experienced the anxiety of never knowing where he was or how he was doing.

#4= 4-22-44, US troops on Aitape beach.jpg

Edited by Boonie Stomper
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Helllo Boonie,

I hope all is well with you, havent seen you on here for a while?

Hope to see more of your collection here on MCN.

Best Wishes...Desert Rat/ IanB-UK