Hell all

I am a retired Blue and Royal major.

I have a sort of code machine.  Belonged to the ops officer of the DLI who landed on Gold Beach.  I have his helmet and badges from his son.  I can't find out much about it.  Nothing on the web or eBay.  Local auctioneer says it was only used in training which I find hard to believe.  It looks like an early version of Battlecode that replaces words to create a simple code so English speaking Germans listening to the net would confused. The rollers allows the replacement words to be rotated and thereby changed. 

IWM won't comment, Army Museum helpful but don't know,  no response from the Royal Signals museum at Blanford.

I would appreciate any insights any of the membership.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Regards

Tom Daniel

Code Machine.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Tom,

Great to see this machine, and read the history with it. I really can't assist you with this but I will try and find out and let you know.

Thanks for showing us at MCN

Best Wishes...Desert Rat

Well I,m afraid its got me stumped, I,ve never seen one like it and more than that , did,nt know they actually existed, Cant understand why the IWM wont give you any info, its no longer a classified item after 70 odd years, unless there are certain "military groups" who use something very similar today, but I would have thought that you would know more than us if this was true or not

• Like 1

Hello Tom,

Had a quick look on Google but cant find anything at the moment.

I will let you know if I find any info.

Best Wishes....IanB/ Desert Rat