Thetford Moulded Products Helmet Lightweight Parachutist

Mark K

Just thought I might share a few images of my earliest lightweight Parachutist helmet I was pretty dam excited to finally add one to my shelf and able to fill a huge gap in my British Para helmet collection with the addition of this helm 
This example is sporting the early green vinyl chinstrap as produced Thetford..and is very likely one of the earliest variants due to the smooth surface on the helmet body and the bare metal un-coated liner retention nuts and bolts ..
Also of note is the white brow pad which was only found on the earliest of examples... It with out a doubt shows its age and is in the condition I would expect to see from a issued example it was missing the black plastic slider section of the buckle at the time of purchase but with the help of a couple of good friends in the UK  whom sent me a few bits and pieces this might not seem like a huge deal to most but the buckle and the chincup are incredibly hard to find so was very pleased when he sent one to me and another mate sent along a 68 pattern DPM hood which I have converted into a helmet cover
The cover ,net ,nbc strips and hessian are not original to this helmet and have been added for the purpose of display to represent a para helm that would have been worn during the time of the Falklands Islands War

Kind regards Mark

P1070694.JPG

P1080091.JPG

P1080092.JPG

P1080093.JPG

P1080094.JPG

P1080096.JPG

P1080097.JPG

P1080099.JPG

P1080100.JPG

P1080102.JPG

P1070705.JPG

• Like 2

Hello Mark,

Another great helmet, great for your collection...Thanks

Best to you....Ian

My Brother in law was in 3 para and fought in the Falklands, he still has both helmets, the original wartime BMB that were still being used up till the Falklands and the newer issue one used on the Islands . My other brother in law who is much older than me, his father was in the paras and was at Arnhem , when his father died they had a clearout of the loft and found all his jump gear, smock (with bullet holes), helmet still with camo and netting on, belt with Browning pistol in holster, a luger with two magazines , a Sten gun, plus lots of photos from the period, The smock had bullet holes in because he had been hit by machinegun fire and had to be carried out across the Rhine in a boat but he refused to leave his gear behind  for the Germans as trophies. My lovely sister threw all the uniform into a skip and handed all the weapons into the police, I,ve never forgiven her for that, especially as she knew I was a collector, and that was,nt the only time she had done something like that

• Like 1

Great Dave,

It's so good to hear these true accounts of real life Heroes, and some of what they brought back....Hope you still have the items, now in your collection?

Thanks for this brilliant story.

Best to you & all your family....Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

No, my brother in law from the paras has kept his items, the others were all thrown out in a skip and I never saw them, My sister told me what was there!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanx Gents for the interest sorry to hear about this Dave I would have been devastated if one of my family members ever did this to me ....

Regards Mark

• Like 1

Bloody Hell Dave,

What a rotten thing to do...I cannot believe he would do that without at least offering them to you...Families sometimes...???

But sorry more to you!

Ian