New 1st pattern Tropenhelm

Afrikakorpsrat64

Picked up this Luftwaffe 1st Pattern tropenhelm recently to add to the collection. Unusually late made canvas (1943) as mostly the felt 2nd pattern ones were being made by that time. This one has the darker Heer type trim and strap but has always been a Luftwaffe used helmet. Its also the lovely all green type which i really wanted.

20180607_223830.jpg

20180607_223855.jpg

20180607_223915.jpg

• Like 1

What can I say Tony....Another brilliant item for your collection.

Thanks for showing us and Best to you...IanB

• Like 1

That is a very decent looking Tropp, I nearly got one a few years back but the leather band around the rim was a complete mess, and the seller was asking far too much, also there was no insignia, and he wanted £140

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

That is a very decent looking Tropp, I nearly got one a few years back but the leather band around the rim was a complete mess, and the seller was asking far too much, also there was no insignia, and he wanted £140

Cheers @Davejb! I got lucky on this as I have never had an all green one, I did have a two tone Luftwaffe 1st pattern some years back, wish I still had it! The Heer one I have is missing the trim you mentioned but I got that one at a good price. I have gotten to collecting the shields, in the hopes I will come across cheap shield less helmets, I have a nice set of Kriegsmarine shields just waiting,lol.

• Like 1

Hello Tony,

Great helmet, we look forward to more of your items to come...and the set of Kriegsmarine shields ...not sure what you mean but I wait in anticipation!

Best to you....IanB

• Upvote 1

@Desert Rat Ian, here are some examples of the shields . The top set in the first photo are KriegsMarine , the other two are heer(Army) . then the two helmets , Heer and luftwaffe, the luftwaffe eagle is a type one(Early) so called Snake leg.

20180608_155352[1].jpg

20180608_155404[1].jpg

20180608_155415[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

Brilliant Tony,

Great items and super collection.

Thanks for showing us.....Very Best Wishes...IanB

I take it you need a Tropp with the correct lining for the KM, also a leather band for the other one. I learnt how to apply the leather bands with correct stitching, its a complicated process, I did this just in case I found one without and at a reasonable price

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Dave,

Hope you are well....Very good advice from you as always

Best to you....IanB

I do have a British Pith helmet used by the Afrika  Korp, it has the correct Heer insignia , but was a capture helmet as far as I can make out. The Germans apparently prefered our Pith helmets to their own , It was explained to me a long while ago that its because there is more space and the brim shields better from the sun, especially the front and rear brims

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that info Dave.....Very interesting to know that.

Best to you.....IanB