Lever Action Winchesters

Boonie Stomper

Not really a military weapon, but I have always thought that lever actions were very nice.  With the correct markings, they can also be very expensive.  It might be worth taking a closer look at that old Winchester in the closet:       ($375,000 to $550,000)

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/2006/rare-documented-winchester-1873-one-of-one-thousand-1st-model

#0#1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31
Extremely Rare Documented, Winchester First Model 1873 "One of One Thousand" Lever Action Rifle with Factory Letter
Estimate Price: $375,000 - $550,000
  • Like 1

Actually, there were Winchester lever-actions issued to the military.  My grandfather (Mom's dad) served in the US Army in WW I in the Signal Corps, in the "Spruce Production Division".  They were issued Winchester model 1894 lever actions.  Interesting story:

SMOF6939 - SCARCE U.S. MILITARY WW1 WINCHESTER MODEL 1894 .30-30 "SPRUCE GUN" SADDLE RING CARBINE Serial number 842117, which is on the list of known Spruce Guns compiled by researcher Rick Hill. US and ordnance bomb handstamped on the receiver ring. One of the least known U.S. military arms of WW1 is the Winchester Model 1894 carbine in .30- 30 caliber. Only 1,800 of these were purchased in 1917 directly from Winchester for use by the U.S. Army Signal Corps. While not intended for combat use, these were needed to arm the troops of the Signal Corps 412th Aero Squadron assigned to the spruce lumbering operations in the Pacific Northwest. At that time, the Army's aviation program was part of the Signal Corps, and spruce wood was a critical component of aircraft at that time. They probably saw more use providing game to feed the troops and loggers than use deterring saboteurs. These are invariably found in well used condition, and this one is a pretty nice one. There are faint traces of finish in some of the protected areas, but the metal is basically worn to a dull steel gray, with some staining and pinpoint roughness on the right side of the receiver and on the bottom. The stocks, as always are worn, but this one is much nicer than most we have seen. Bore is surprisingly nice, with sharp lands and only a small amount of dirt or roughness in the grooves, say fine plus to almost excellent. Front sight blade is probably a replacement, otherwise it appears to be 100% correct and original. 

Bruce Canfield's excellent U.S. Infantry Weapons if WWI has some info on these on pages 116-118, but his overall photo of the gun shows a later representative Model 1894, not one of the 1917 vintage U.S. guns, so that is why this rifle looks different from the one in his book. The Winchester Arms Collectors had a great article on the “Spruce Guns” by Rick Hill several years ago, and a digital copy will be provided with this rifle. 

No collection of U.S. military arms of WW1 is complete without one of these, and they are a window into the vital role that lumber played in the U.S. involvement in WW1. When purchasing one of these, be careful as there are a number of out of range fakes out there, but we guarantee this is authentic. $2995.00 

smof6939.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Boonie,

Great Legendary Item, what a lovely gun an a commendation to you for the super text. My mate had a later model at the gun club, I fired it a few times and it was a great feeling, I had to settle for the .44 (Dirty Harry) 8 3/8 ins barrel Magnum...yeh but when we went to Stonelodge firing range years ago, a fellow shooter was determind to try it, so I gave him x6 of my own re-loaded ones (just light practise rounds), he fired and said ...WOW that is powerful. "hang on Mate" I said.....Now you try these x6 Factory loads-----He fired the first round and fell backwards, I grabbed him, took the gun..and he just stood there with his hands shaking...ans was shocked at the power. ...His mates laughed at him, and I said never again will I let a tosser fire my gun.

Anyway, super gun reminds me of all the Cowboy films and a great Hero  - John Wayne!

Best to you & Thanks for showing us at MCN....Can't do this of facesucker book!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hello Boonie,

I hope all is well with you as we havent heard from you for a while?

Also hope you and your family had a great festive season.

Look forward to seeing many more of your collection on MCN.

Very Best Wishes.....Desert Rat/ Ian-UK

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

I had reason to go visit a gunsmith in Nottingham a few years ago....eventually found his workshop, and what a lovely guy he is..I was there to get some advice and help on a repair to one of my hunting rifles...he came highly recommended....after a chat, ..he showed me into the vault...good god, what a collection of . 19thC and very early 20th C  Sharpes, Henrys and Winnies he had....just as I had seen in all the films...amazing guns...but, geezus, heavy....:) He must have had 15 or 16 of them...:) Since then, I've been over to the US more than a few times, and cannot for the life of me, find a range where I could hire one to shoot....so, had to content myself with my cousins Underlever Marlin 30 30...:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

Hope you and your family had a good Xmas ( and your wife bought you an MP40 as a prezzie?)

Well you surprise me that in the US you couldnt find a range to shoot these type of rifles etc, I thought judging by the TV programmes you could even fire a bloody cannon???

The account is good as above and thanks for sharing it with us.

Very Best to You ..Best Wishes for 2019

Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian....We did have a great one mate...had the full compliment of three daughters, their partners, 6 grandkids, and a couple of in laws to dinner.....busy, but fantastic...As per, quiet New Year., brought the bells in with my cousin in California....ended up spark out at half two, drinking GlenFiddoch, while he drank Lagavulan....LOL...:)

Re the US ranges., I'm a member of a range in San Diego called P2K....they hire all sorts of guns out to members and visitors, but dont , or didnt have any antique firearms to let....:( ...And the other range I frequent in Lemon Grove is only a range, where you shoot your own firearms....

Still lots of fun with or without antique firearms...and I highly recommend both of them to anyone interested...:)

Hope you , and everyone here has a cracking 2019...:)

• Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

So pleased you had a good Xmas, so many to cook for but I am sure at the end of the day you and all the men were nearly/ all pissed...Good One!

So nice to hear that some had a great time, and for Burns Night....That will be the BIG ONE for the Scots, my Mum always talks about it, family, friends, neighbours around all drinking and celebrating....Great time the Scots have...better than us stupid Sassenachs....YEH......SCOTLAND THE BRAVE...!!!  OK I am 1/3rd Scots= part Irish from 200 years ago, part English - My Dad, most of my Heart is still and always will be for Scotland..sadly only 1/3 third.

Best to you & ALL your family, I hope to get back there one day...Miss it so much!

Desert Rat/ Ian

Norrie.Cuz,

Do you know number 30 West Thornhill/ Thornlie street, Wishaw...My Mum Originates from there but was born in Glasgow Hospital, and then moved to this address when she was born, then to 5, Quarry Street, Wishaw.....as I went there from London with my Mum & Dad and older brother on the Flying Scotsman when I was about 5-6 years old to see my Granny.....Just wondered if it has changed much, as my Mum who is in a care home and 99 years old this year always talks about  this town...and going Home!

Thank You so Much.....IanB

My Dad in the Army Uniform on leave in Edinburgh, where he met my Mum and then met her Mother (do not know who the older girl is or the younger girl....possibly the older girl was my Mums sister who died soon after of Menengitis?)

I, forgot to mention, my dad had just been re-called from Italy and was on leave in Scotland when he met my Mum....Then he was back in the South of England with the 8th Army preparing for D-Day, in which he landed on the 6th June 1944 in the afternoon on Sword Beach, up through France. Belgium, Holland then into Germany with Monty's 21st Army Group......My Dad The Hero.....Miss You Dad....X...Ian

Dad with Dear Granny Strachan...1947.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text