Caernarfon Air World. Wales

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

While away last week in Wales I decided to side line a family trip to Caernarfon Air world.Situated about 15 mins outside Caernarfon on the old World War Two airfield my last visit was around 30 years ago as a child.

The staff member was more than helpful but most of the display cases were empty and covered in dust,most items just unlabelled and badly displayed,and quite a few just empty.

As a historical setting its the home to the original RAF mountain rescue services,and is a good size building,containing many items from wartime crash sites,even a section of the R101 airship.There are only a handful of airframes,but you can see these are well looked after,and they have a Viscount cockpit procedure trainer you can sit in and have a great open cockpit policy,with most Canopys open and stairs going up to view inside.

Most of the displays I remembered fondly as a child and it was nice to do some comparison photos with my daughter in almost the exact spots lol.

I am hoping that as it was just half term that it had not received a spring clean as it wasn't ready to open for the season yet.And that the cased exhibits get the desired maintenance before fully opening.

Well,as a family day out its worth a visit,take butties and a flask,and spare 3/4 hours.It deserves support as its a cracking little operation and they were advertising for support and volunteers.If I lived 300 miles nearer I would gladly take them up on the offer.Too many of these smaller museums seem to disappear without many noticing and items then going to private collections and lost from public view forever.

And the airfield is operational too so you don't know what you might see ! :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Major General

Aw bless! Look at your nippers face. Tomorrows enthusiast/collector today!