Early MP40 with own’s matching mag pouches

Manu Della Valle

This set could and would have been "one in a million",since the MP40 and pouches (with full mags) had been together since the War and belonged to an Italian Army General who had the lot in his collection of military weapons;only a handful of people have such a license in Italy and they are no more than ten/twenty individuals IIRC.

Upon his death his wife couldn't keep the collection and the lot was consigned by the authorities  to a friend who owned a small weapons factory where  the MP was consequently liberally "castrated" (read butchered!)to render it legal....barrel holed and filled with a rod,the disassembling knob under the receiver and the extractor were   welded and the bolt could stay back only by engaging the safety,but at least he has made a clean job on a matching number early MP40.

The magazines became part of the factory inventory(they couldn't be detained by civilians at that time!) and instead of butchering the six of them my friend kept five in his own mouth-watering collection and welded the follower of the one that came with the MP.He’d have “demil’d” the other five but they got lost in the warehouse.

I managed and get the original pouches (run of the mill "clg"s) with the mag loader though,and that sort of compensated for the butchering!😅

B6F0D818-3305-46A7-B5B7-79D153347F80.jpeg

753D40EA-AB54-44C5-9796-FE4134E53038.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Great Manu....Another SUPERB item, lovely looking sub.....Thanks for showing us.

Best to you...Ian

Hello Manu,

Is this a firer or decat?....Lovely looking sub though, would look nice hanging on my office wall. I already have a sten MK 2 Hanging there and this would look great as well...!

What I am looking for for is original sten mags x32 in black paint as my mate in France lost the original, so I bought x6 from a UK dealer, but all just plain steel, which look rubbish on this original French Resistance/ used sub, so I have to bloody paint them which will look mostly crap as I need an original with original paint, worn, used, scratched etc.....perfect!....which look rubbish on this original French Resistance/ used sub. Have you one or do you know where I can buy one?

Best to you & many Thanks....Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

On 11/10/2018 at 22:02, Desert Rat said:

Hello Manu,

Is this a firer or decat?....Lovely looking sub though, would look nice hanging on my office wall. I already have a sten MK 2 Hanging there and this would look great as well...!

What I am looking for for is original sten mags x32 in black paint as my mate in France lost the original, so I bought x6 from a UK dealer, but all just plain steel, which look rubbish on this original French Resistance/ used sub, so I have to bloody paint them which will look mostly crap as I need an original with original paint, worn, used, scratched etc.....perfect!....which look rubbish on this original French Resistance/ used sub. Have you one or do you know where I can buy one?

Best to you & many Thanks....Ian

Hoi Ian,

this MP40 has been deacted as per Italian regulation,which are very strict compared to French ones.The important thing here is that this “quasi” is a nearly total matching Nos one and that the pouches are the very same given to the Italian officer with the weapon,which thing makes the lot quite a rare bird per se!

As for your Sten magazines I’d suggest you to look at the many online shops,and if you find blued ones don’t be too choosey because these mags were expendable!

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Thanks 1

Hello Manu,

Thanks for your advice I will have a look on different websites, I am sure I can find a painted one, if not I have 6 here just plain steel and unpainted, and will primer and paint them black (gloss?? not sure) that should then be OK to go in the gun.

Best to you...Ian

We had a dealer with an MP 40 that turned up at the Gun Club one night with one, he loaded all the mags up and fired away.....Super gun and very loud even with headphones on!