Donate to the MCN

Lenny

• Field Marshall

mainwaring.png

It’s an expensive business hosting a website, software licences etc. if you appreciate what the MCN does for collectors, then please consider donating. At the moment, I pay all the costs out of my own pocket. It works out roughly about £1000 per year. I get minimal funds from a few dealer adverts, but it doesn't come close I'm afraid.

If you can donate even a small amount, the cost of a cup of coffee even, (I drink a lot of coffee whilst working on this website.) then that would be appreciated.

The MCN will always be free for it's members, I'm still thinking about what to charge to allow selling of multiple items. Its free at the moment if you sell up to x items per month, but if you want to sell more there probably will be a token charge to help with costs. Likewise, dealers can only advertise, get banner adverts if they pay a fee. This is still all being finalised, but more news very soon.

donate to the MCN here.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am sure we can all afford a Fiver each...as it's bloody expensive to have hosting costs, and for the Time, Effort and Money that Lenny and His Staff have spent, as you will agree a super website.

Com'on Boy's it's only a £5....If you can afford more even better...(Yes I have Donated My £5 - via Paypal)

Best to you All......Desert Rat/ Ian

Dell Boy below saying "Thanks Me Ol Muckers....You Know It Makes Sense!"

waving-soldier (1).gif

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • Field Marshall

88% funded, cheers guys... :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello Lenny,

That sounds really promising and we hope that the other members who have not donated.....can at least pay a £5.....for such a Great Website!

Best wishes to you all on MCN and the bosses

Desert Rat/ Ian......."Scotland The Brave"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Field Marshall

Cheers guys, apreciated...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think a fiver each with only a dozen active members will float it. 

Lenny,

I am happy to put up surplus items for a raffel/auction if this helps, I have done it before and offered that on 3 other sites,  2 sites with no real interest sadly. I thought it might get people in the spirit of donating a bit to the running.

Before I came off facebook I saw and joined a '72 hour auction' site. It seems popular although I never used it. Perhaps a modified version of that to run a bit longer to give the smaller readership a chance to react would also help with the running costs.

On a raffle site I have seen, people offer items with a set quantity of tickets at a set price, they seem secure a bit more than the current market value of an item. When all tickets are sold they do an electronic draw.

Where we could win in this format is that we are not doing it for greed so we can keep the value of the sum of the tickets at the lowest market value of the item thus keeping it fun and a means to support a good platform. For example EK2 WW1 retail between £35-£55 depending on where you shop. If we take the lower end at 7 tickets for a fiver a pop you have a good chance of winning and you get something nice or that you want for less than two pints? 

You could also invite dealers to contribute items that they are having trouble moving on as a way to put something back for the collector, in this case perhaps all active members that month, week or day get a free ticket? How that is allocated and controlled would be down to you.

Regardless of the sparkel that they put on it on WAF, the hobby is in trouble, lack of attendance here is a symptom of that and the evolving technology.

Let me know what you think and I will route through the buckshees.

Rich

• Thanks 2

Hello Rich,

Thanks for the update, I seem to have it all wrong when I put up just a minimum donation of a £5 each as I believed that there must be at least 50 pretty regular that come on here if not more?

Anyway, you have come up with a good idea. Maybe the F.M. should charge every member £5 to join...that should hopefully pay the costs and members will come back if they have to pay and know they get to join a great website....Maybe I am wrong again?

Any more opinions would be welcome (hopefully better than mine!)

Best wishes to you all on MCN.....Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Like 1

Ian,

I did not mean to ruffle your feathers. I know I have not been on here long but lets be optimistic and say 30 regular users that visit, then factor in the folk that won't pay anything at all so recon with perhaps 20 to 25 in the end. There are a lot of members registered here the issue is how to engage them and have them come back. I have seen though the cracks appearing in WAF and that many there are registering on other sites with the enevitable collapse comming. I am not a quitter and would like to see the like s of here grow but without a lot of the dross from WAF that are there purely for self gain or self importance? Nothing wrong with your idea just perhaps a bit modest in terms of what a site like this costs is all.

Best Regards

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Field Marshall
On 08/04/2019 at 10:06, Richard Auld said:

I don't think a fiver each with only a dozen active members will float it. 

Lenny,

I am happy to put up surplus items for a raffel/auction if this helps, I have done it before and offered that on 3 other sites,  2 sites with no real interest sadly. I thought it might get people in the spirit of donating a bit to the running.

Before I came off facebook I saw and joined a '72 hour auction' site. It seems popular although I never used it. Perhaps a modified version of that to run a bit longer to give the smaller readership a chance to react would also help with the running costs.

On a raffle site I have seen, people offer items with a set quantity of tickets at a set price, they seem secure a bit more than the current market value of an item. When all tickets are sold they do an electronic draw.

Where we could win in this format is that we are not doing it for greed so we can keep the value of the sum of the tickets at the lowest market value of the item thus keeping it fun and a means to support a good platform. For example EK2 WW1 retail between £35-£55 depending on where you shop. If we take the lower end at 7 tickets for a fiver a pop you have a good chance of winning and you get something nice or that you want for less than two pints? 

You could also invite dealers to contribute items that they are having trouble moving on as a way to put something back for the collector, in this case perhaps all active members that month, week or day get a free ticket? How that is allocated and controlled would be down to you.

Regardless of the sparkel that they put on it on WAF, the hobby is in trouble, lack of attendance here is a symptom of that and the evolving technology.

Let me know what you think and I will route through the buckshees.

Rich

I really don't know, finding it hard to get motivated over militaria in general, fed up with the arseholes...

Tech has definetly played apart, a forum that had a high activity will weather it better, lower activity forumd tend to turn to tumbleweed moments.. :(

Facebook isn't perfect, or even ideal, but it IS convenient...

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • Field Marshall

Folks, hosting and licence fees are due again, so please consider donating...

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

@Lenny Im late with a donation this year, I'll get to it as soon as possible! 2020, wow!

• Like 1

• Lenny unpinned and unfeatured this topic