small medal lot, but big history!

S&S Militaria

Hello folks,

I got this small lot at the weekend there, got a call from a friend that he had been given a small box of medals, and here they are!

one mans military history and life in a Mary gift tin, I searched online and found their cards, I am assuming the box and its contents belong to William and the other 2 medals and one ribbon is his brother John, because I assume the guy who saves a souvenir from ww1 and ww2 Germany through to 1953, and of the Canadian Curlers visit to Scotland :D etc would save his own medal trio!

they were both wounded in WW1,there was also a WW1 EK2 with a nice original to the piece ribbon, a WW2 NSDAP party badge, a WW2 Italian cloth insignia,  a silver and translucent enamel masonic pendant, a daily record Chums badge :D gypsy type ring, maybe a war squeeze? :D some Indian silver I suppose a gift from a fellow solider? their 2 1953 cap badges by Gaunt London, some badges on the queens coronation, the one marked Ayrshire Education Society is kinda neat local piece, the whole box is! my knowledge on British militaria is not great. learned a few things since getting this gift tin, how someone can coolly hand over their grandfathers trinket box is beyond me and for nothing. sad. 

my friend saved them from the bin to be honest, and I made it well worth his while! its not much to most but it is to me, now they will be forever membered and I have already asked trying to see if there is any photos. it shall remain whole and with me for the rest of my days.

amazing what's out there and all around us! get digging folks!

WILLIAM MCGAW SERVICE RECORD COPY 2.PNG

WILLIAM MCGAW SERVICE RECORD COPY.PNG

JOHN MCGAW SERVICE RECORD COPY.PNG

SAM_1303.JPG

SAM_1304.JPG

SAM_1305.JPG

SAM_1306.JPG

SAM_1307.JPG

SAM_1308.JPG

SAM_1309.JPG

SAM_1310.JPG

SAM_1311.JPG

SAM_1312.JPG

SAM_1313.JPG

SAM_1314.JPG

SAM_1315.JPG

SAM_1316.JPG

SAM_1317.JPG

SAM_1318.JPG

SAM_1319.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WOW....!!!

What can I say absolutely fantastic collectables and to actually have them in your possession must be truly great!

Thanks very much for showing us....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Again...WOW !!  What an incredible box.  Each piece in that box had memories attached to it.  Unless documented, the stories & memories will be forever lost.

I believe this represents a dilemma facing anyone who has family military items.  Both my father (US Navy) and my uncle (US Army AF) served in WW2.  A friend served with the First Special Service Force in WW2.  These men are now dead, but I have the honor of owning & displaying their medals, uniforms, & kit.  I have carefully documented the service history of each man & his items.

I am not getting any younger and am faced with the difficult decision of what happens to these things when I die??  I know that these things have monetary value, but to me the true value is their link to the men that they represent.  Who will care??  With each generation that passes, the new generation cares less & less.

I have acquaintances who's business is buying & selling these things.  I guess that is reality.  You can't save every memory. 

• Like 1

Hello Boonie,

Good to hear from you, and hope all is well. Very difficult to know what to do with any war items from relatives etc, try and keep them as long as you can and hopefully you will find a family member that will treasure the memories of these two Heroes  and keep them and appreciate the sacrifice!

Very Best to you & your family

Desert Rat/ Ian 

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

Hiya, Amazing collection, and very well done to you for saving it...:)

As you say, its amazing whats out there...I just got a WW1 compass, that was saved from a recycling centres conveyor belt..it was heading to the scap metal skip!! :)

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 2

Hello S & S,

A small tin....but full of the greatest interest and contents...Superb!

Thanks for showing us on MCN....I wish we could all find something so fantastic as this.

Best to you & Thanks....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1