WW2 Sten Gun Spike Bayonet....Is it Original?

Desert Rat

Can anyone out there help me to identify this Bayonet?

It was purchased as original WW2 and clipped into the end of the sten muzzle. All exact measurements as original etc

It is stamped but I cannot make out the makers marks!

Many Thanks to all who can assist me......Thank You!

Desert Rat

DSC_0002 (3).JPG

DSC_0003 (3).JPG

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

Edited by Desert Rat

Hello,

Even if it's a replica I won't be offended, as I think they only made 500 of these type (and exceptionally rare) I also read ? that they destroyed most of these after the production.......and only one if lucky may be possible to find?

Best to you all & Thanks for your kind assistance.

Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all your replies...as I thought someone out there could kindly assist, and I hope there is?

Many Thanks for your kind help Val,

I will check it out.....Best to you

Desert Rat/ Ian

Hello Val,

Thanks for the link you sent, very interesting, had another look at my spike (sten) bayonet....despite there are markings/ stamps, half of it is missing when stamped on. So the images sent show, what I can make out with a magnifying glass - B & J * 11 MN152. Please let me know what you think?

Best to you Desert Rat/ Ian

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

Hello Val,

This is what I copied from the link you sent me......Thanks for that.

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Ian

According to The Spirit of The Pike, there were Sten bayonets that were unmarked, he even has a picture of one, but the springs and welds on the bayonets in the book look different from yours. Your spring and lug sit alot higher, and look like the reproductions from India, and the selds are filled in more like the Indian ones.

B.&J. Sippel made the parts, and marked them B.J.S.LTD and had a dispersal code of N 152, this was marked on the spring or socket, or both. The bayonets themselves were completed by Grundy(Teddington) Ltd Somerset Works, Teddington, Middlesex and N.J. Edmunds Ltd. Elmbrook Garage, Sutton, Surrey. It only mentions a marking for Grundy that was a G inside of a circle.

I was under the impression that the B&JS Ltd bayonets were known Indian-made fakes. Ade S mentioned the same here: No. 4 MK2 Spike Bayonet so maybe he's the man to elaborate further? I have an unmarked Sten bayonet myself, but really have never been able to confirm it's authenticity. 

They were made by three manufacturers: Grundy Ltd, Lines Bros, and N J Edmunds Ltd, and so should have their maker marks on them, if anything (or one of the parts suppliers). A company called B & J Sippel Ltd were given a contract for "hardening and tempering" of these bayonets in January 1944, so that's your B&JS.

Total production was about 75,800, but most are reported scrapped soon after the war, hence their rarity.

Where is this information from, the Spirit of the Pike book? Because it's definitely not correct. There were several sub-contractors making parts for the Sten bayonets, I have the contract lists here. N152 is actually Sippel's military Contractor Code, i.e. the official maker mark that all companies were supposed to use (it means 'north of England Contractor #152'), although many companies still put their logos etc on parts. Grundy's code was S41 and Edmunds' was S356.

B.&J. Sippel made the parts, and marked them B.J.S.LTD and had a dispersal code of N 152, this was marked on the spring or socket, or both. The bayonets themselves were completed by Grundy(Teddington) Ltd Somerset Works, Teddington, Middlesex and N.J. Edmunds Ltd. Elmbrook Garage, Sutton, Surrey. It only mentions a marking for Grundy that was a G inside of a circle.

• Field Marshall

This isn't the right place for this, so no-one will be expecting it here, will move it to edged weapons.. ;)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Tech,

Sorry will do, but I am not sure how to??

Ian

Many Thanks Tech for doing this, appreciate that very much.

Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text