Been invited to do my very first display.

Norrie

Hiya...Well, I have been collecting for a little over two years now, and loving it....it has become a passion, or maybe even an obsession ...think its both actually. 

My wife works in the local nursing home, and they have quite a few residents who are ex WW2 servicemen and women, and a couple of Land Girls too.

So imagine how I felt when the home manager called and asked if I would like to do a display for them in a spare room they have for recreational use....geezus...Would I???? am so chuffed that they even know about my hobby...but it turns out the wife told them all about the collection.

Also got asked how much I would take to do a display....I feel its an honour to let folks see some of my collection....no money involved....I did suggest a donation to HFH if they want tho..... so, its arranged for mid-late January 2019 once New Year etc is out of the way....they are supplying a minibus and two maintenance guys that I already know to collect my items, and help set up the display....then bring it back home...:)

REALLY looking forward to it.

BUT., any suggestions as to what and how to display might be helpful if you could...I mainly have Brit,and US WW2 gear...along with some Korean era and more modern stuff....I need to make up some display boxes out of wooden crates I have...and already have some mannequins...but any ideas?? 

I att a pic taken last summer, but the collection has grown some what...:)

Thanks in advance chaps...:)

20170707_204627.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

Firstly I commend your Dear Wife for working in a care home, my Mum who was born in Wishaw in October 1920, now sadly for me is in a care home...Miss you Mum.

But I certainly do commend and congratulate that your superb collection will be seen by many of these dear and very elderly ladies and gents who if didn't go through "The Great War" remembered it, and certainly done their best for all during WW2.

I hope we can see some images of this special occassion later, I am sure this will be a magnificent display to these most honourable people, who deserve far more than anyone can give them.

Have a great time, get your speech ready, and all will be in awe of your super items!

(For me personally, I think that British would be more appropriate for these people as they can actually relate to these items....from their families who fought during WW1 and saw them leave for war (and hopefully) come home on leave or the end of the war)

It is up to you, whatever you choose, I do sincerely congratulate you, your wife...it will be superb!!

Very Best Wishes....Desert Rat/ Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

Hello Norrie.

You will do a great heartwarming display for all who see and enjoy this, maybe some old ladies will cry (I would) but you know you have done and given your very best!

"Scotland The Brave".....Forever!!!

Desert Rat/ Ian "Robertson"-(My Scottish Clan) Bridle

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Any chance to see more of your collection, it looks superb but I am sre many on MCN would like to see more..Please!

Very Best to You & Your Family.

Desert Rat/ 

• Like 1

Hiya...I do think I'll stick to Brit stuff, as you say, it will be the stuff the residents can relate too.......I have quite a bit of Civil Defence and military stuff that I can display...( hopefully)

I myself am particularly keen on the paperwork side of WW2 civil defence..ration books, ID cards etc etc..I also have a couple of  dozen paybooks from all the services dating from WW2.....so, am thinking of a couple of tables of such stuff..I have a load of WW2 original scrap books, stuffed with clippings,  not worth a lot, and might put them on various tables to let the residents thumb through along with some WW2 newspapers......:)

I think I have a few ideas in my head...but they are starting to grow arms and legs tho..LOL..but am sure i'll get there...:)

Anyway,,..Whats this about being a Roberston...?? My gran was a Robertson that married a Reid...she was a relation of the Jam family......my mum reverted to her maiden name of Reid after her divorce from my dad...........LOL...:)

2 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

Any chance to see more of your collection, it looks superb but I am sre many on MCN would like to see more..Please!

Very Best to You & Your Family.

Desert Rat/ 

Just getting ready for kip...got a 5am start......will find some pics tomorrow and stick them on...:)

• Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

I cannot Believe this at all as my Mum and family was also a cousin or whatever the relationship was to the - Robertson Jam Factory - this is unbelievable that your family was also related....WOW!!!

Maybe through the Robertson(Clan) we could be related....My Mum was born on 2nd October 1920 (I think) at 30, West Thornhill Street, Wishaw...then moved to 5, Quarry Street, Wishaw...That's when I was about 5-6 years old went by "The Flying Scotsman" from London to Glasgow and for the first time met my Dear Granny Strachan (Robertson) and my Mum's Dad and family...oooohhh so long ago!!!

I don't know what to say only that ..maybe we are distant cousins...It would be wonderful to tell my Mum who is 98 years old and sadly in a care home now, to relate this to her...DAKD is sorting out my family tree and he may come up with some really exciting information about us...I hope so!

Very Best Wishes and as always "Scotland The Brave"

Ian

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Do you need anything for your display....as I may have items here to post to you to assist you, that may help?

Very Best to you...Ian Robertson Bridle

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Just reading your message again and thinking that many of the people that you display your items to will be females and many remember what their own Mothers and they went through during WW1 and WW2....It may be good if you have the items to do with the women during both Wars, what their excellent participation  was during these most critical times.

I knew a lovely lady years ago - Elsie Tyndall -who was in the munitions factory in Woolwich, London...She was only 17 when she started work loading the shells/ ammunition, and many/ most were nicknamed "Canaries" as when their loading was done they would have the colour of yellow on their skin.

Maybe any interest to do with this as well as those fitting out aircraft, growing provisions due to the German blockade in both wars regarding food from the U.S. Also the "Land Girls" my neighbour next to me for many years was a Land Girl during WW2 - Jean Stowell - they worked all hours in the fields around Edenbridge using tractors and cultivating the fields to plant potatoes etc etc etc. They actually had a barrage balloon over the town when the doodelbugs - V1's  were sent over, when it had all ended she cut the barrage balloon cable from the holding machine? and she cut it in 25 feet lengths for her and her friends to use as washing lines...I wished I had cut it down for myself when she went into a care home as a memento.when her house was empty..!!!

I, hope this may help you, let me know if I can help, as these old ladies have some great memories of WW1 and WW2.

Best wishes,,,,Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1

On 08/11/2018 at 22:29, Desert Rat said:

Hello Norrie,

I cannot Believe this at all as my Mum and family was also a cousin or whatever the relationship was to the - Robertson Jam Factory - this is unbelievable that your family was also related....WOW!!!

Maybe through the Robertson(Clan) we could be related....My Mum was born on 2nd October 1920 (I think) at 30, West Thornhill Street, Wishaw...then moved to 5, Quarry Street, Wishaw...That's when I was about 5-6 years old went by "The Flying Scotsman" from London to Glasgow and for the first time met my Dear Granny Strachan (Robertson) and my Mum's Dad and family...oooohhh so long ago!!!

I don't know what to say only that ..maybe we are distant cousins...It would be wonderful to tell my Mum who is 98 years old and sadly in a care home now, to relate this to her...DAKD is sorting out my family tree and he may come up with some really exciting information about us...I hope so!

Very Best Wishes and as always "Scotland The Brave"

Ian

Hi Ian...Gawd, you could NOT make this up...:) My gran Elizabeth Riddle Reid, lived in Glasgow during WW1...born in 1901..she was a piano player in her spare time, often playing in the hospitals for the ill and wounded soldiers... and played in the cinemas too along with the silent films of the era, that's how she met my grandad, he was ill ( in the Royal Scots)  in hospital and she went there to play the piano for the soldiers, he hadn been injured, but was quite ill....I have all the family paperwork, and will go find my grans stuff...its all boxed up in the attic....it might be of some help to DAKD in doing the research...:)

My grandad died in 1961, gran died in 1971...:(

Re the display...thankyou so much for the offer, I don't think i need anything...BUT, will keep it in mind if I can.. Turns out the Nursing Home has quite a few  WW2 vets, and ATS and Landgirls too... I have an original 1943, ATS Staff Sgts Tunic from Scottish Command, plus quite a bit of stuff like Edinburgh ATS ( Dreghorn) Training manuals etc, and a couple of hand written Scottish Nursing College books, dating from the war... Also got a few ARP (Scottish) items ..first aid kits, masks, helmets, etc...all came from the owners son, and all those items are badged from a private address in Alloa....am trying to use mainly Scottish stuff for the residents display where possible...:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Thanks 1

Hello Norrie,

This could be fantastic if we by some chance are related so many years ago, I hope we can find a solution and an answer, as all my Mum's family are gone now, maybe the same as yours, only my Dear Mum is left. I hope again we can find some more info on this family as somewhere in my mind I recollect my Mum mentioning years ago the Reid family???

Apart from this startling revelation.....I hope everything goes exceptionally well for your personal demonstration of War Items, maybe you could get a voice recorder and ask these Great People...What they done during the Wars and write it all down in stories, as I have done with those SOE Agents I met (George Millar) and his French Resistance leader Georges Molles & his wife, and Pearl (Corniolley) Witherington, and a lady from "The Comete Line" who I met 3 times, she alone at 21 years old took her "Parcels" from Belgium, all the way down through occupied France to a "Safe House" in St Jean De Luz, and with her Basque guide Florentino rescued over 200 Allied Airmen shot down....Got them over the mountains/ Pyrenees, which took anything from 10 o 24 hours in ALL weathers, snow, sleet, freezing cold winds, heat of summer and pouring rain, and finally to the Spanish border to hand them over to another agent, then to Bilbao to the British Embassy,  then they flew or by ship  back to the UK to fight again!

What a fantastic memory I have of these Hero's and Heroine's of WW2....!

Here are a couple of images of me with Michou "Lily--Code name, and Georges Molles and his wife..Viva La Maquis!

Very best wishes to you and all your family

Ian (Robertson) Bridle/ Edenbridge/ Kent

GEORGES MOLLES HIS WIFE AND ME.jpg

IMGP6065_JPG_478f260a5aac2e7b4505e25810d5a502.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Thanks 1

Hiya Ian....It certainly is a startling thing... I have an uncle ( mums cousin) Stewart McKenzie, he lives wayyy up north in Poolewe, he is the family historian...and sent me a copy of a concise version of our immediate family tree....I'll  dig it out too and send on to you...no idea if we can private message on here, are you on Face Ache?? 

The tape recorder is a great idea, but would have to ask permission on that.tho many of the residents have dementia...:(

My mum died 14 years ago, dad is here still, live and kicking...he lived through the Blitz on London, and is only recently telling me stories about his time at the time...some great tales too, one involves Petula Clarke who went to the same school as him... He's 84 and a lively bugger...LOL...keeps us all on our toes...he served in the RAF from 51-56 when I was born...:)

GREAT photos...and good on you on having those heroes as friends...:)

BTW, You def have Reid/Robertson facial features...this is getting scary...:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Thanks 1

Just been looking at the tree...seems my grandad Reid had a cousin who lived in Slough, he was a chemist who died during WW1..no idea if he served, or died of ill health tho....and also another cousin who was a Fruit Mercchant in Wimbourne...:)

• Like 1

Norrie, with a collection like this, I think it would be a chance for the people to see the comparisons over the years as to the types of uniforms and headgear that the various arms of services have worn, ie war time to present day, it gives an idea as to the progress that has evolved  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Davejb said:

Norrie, with a collection like this, I think it would be a chance for the people to see the comparisons over the years as to the types of uniforms and headgear that the various arms of services have worn, ie war time to present day, it gives an idea as to the progress that has evolved  

Hi Dave..That's another thing I thought about too, as seemingly some served in Korea and Aden...that's the good thing about an eclectic collection like mine...:) I only just found out that its the  families that are going to be taking the residents round the display...so, as some ( I know) have served recently....it does sound like a good idea...:)

• Like 2

Hello Norrie, (perhaps I should send this via a message???)

My Mum has just told me she had a cousin/ s that owned the Robertson Jam factory (Glasgow?) and the bosses name was - Cuthbert Robertson....who was a cousin/ uncle of her Mother - Ann (e) Robertson (before she married John Strachan. And she knew a family named Reid from Wishaw?

Might help.

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Ian