M1916 shell

Afrikakorpsrat64

Just got this one in the mail, was a gift from my friend Ed. Inside still has the original paint, and some things added by the vet that sent it home, including his name and address( Bill Schmitt, 38 clinton Place, New rochelle, NY)I plan on doing a restore since someone removed all the paint from the outside, but i will leave the inside alone. Its a G62 shell.(Gebruder Gnüchtel Lauter/Sachsen)

20181121_151933[1].jpg

20181121_151947[1].jpg

20181121_152012[1].jpg

20181121_152021[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

What a terrible shame that someone,s butchered it by removing the exterior paint, if it was the same colour as the interior that would be an excellent helmet, but I,m wondering if it had cammo on it. You could do a WW1 cammo, or age it the same as the inside, But I,m thinking it might be an idea to leave it as is, it does,nt appear to be rusty, so I think it had the paint removed not to long ago. I did a cammo for someone a few years ago, although I was reluctant to do it but the guy insisted plus he was paying, but I tried to talk him out of it. The helmet will never be the same as original plus any alteration will have to be made known to any potential buyer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely Helmet Tony,

But I agree with Dave...best left alone, it would look great with cammo paint,,,but it will certainly take away the originality of it. If for you own collection, then you could always try it?

Best to you and thanks for the images...Ian

• Upvote 1

I've decided to leave the inside alone, but since the paint has been complete removed down to bare metal on out side, I will refinish the outside, I too had done a camo a few years back that I sold to a guy in Canada( I told him it had been restored.)But I may try to match the inside paint and get it back to the way it was. I do know after WW1 alot of people repainted them and used them as door stops and planters. A story my mom told me growing up, when she was a little girl in Braintree mass,USA in the 1930's, her Brother would bring all sorts of things home from the dump! Bayonets/ helmets etc from Ww1. She said they had one helmet that was painted silver and they had flowers planted in it. (OH THE HUMANITIES!! lol) Just thought I would share that. Now, I have all ready primer coated the outside. Just need to get a match on the inside paint from some where.

20181124_133435[1].jpg

20181124_133645[1].jpg

• Like 1

I would say a bit of experimentation with colours is needed here mate, but a light shade of Hemp and adding darker hews to it might do the trick, or you could contact Andy,s Hobby Store in the US, i believe he has shown WW1 colour matching paints before, keep us informed, I,d like to see the progress

• Like 1