Recycling Centre Treasure.

Norrie

Hiya, I had a tanker job in a recycling centre last week, the sort of place where all the rubbish is sorted, bins, skips, etc etc...anyway, got chatting to one of the guys, and he tells me, he saved a compass off the belt heading to the scrap metal skip, and would I like to see it...?? Would I ?? Geez, yes please..

Anyway, long story short...I bought it off him , for the price of a drink...

Pics below...:)

WW1 Verners Compass and case, made by E.Koehn in Geneva, case dated to 1916, compass to 1917..

How the hell anyone can throw things like this out is beyond me...is it a reflection of life nowadays ??

20181123_191010.jpg

20181123_191046.jpg

20181123_191136.jpg

20181123_191152.jpg

20181123_191203.jpg

20181123_191243.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You Lucky BBBBBBB,

What a find, I cannot believe it, but superb!

Well Done...Keep going there, and I hope you find more.

Thanks for showing us on MCN....!!!!

Very Best to you...Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1

Just now, Desert Rat said:

You Lucky BBBBBBB,

What a find, I cannot believe it, but superb!

Well Done...Keep going there, and I hope you find more.

Thanks for showing us on MCN....!!!!

Very Best to you...Desert Rat/ Ian

Cheers Ian...I now have a great contact for any more militaria that comes into the centre, plus, he knows the house clearance guys in that area, and is going to pass my number to them...:)

• Thanks 1

Brilliant Idea,

I wish I had contacts like you, very surprising what people throw away, unbelievable treasures that to them mean nothing....but to us are super find treasures!

Good Luck my Robertson cousin.....Ian (Robertson) Bridle

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

Brilliant Idea,

I wish I had contacts like you, very surprising what people throw away, unbelievable treasures that to them mean nothing....but to us are super find treasures!

Good Luck my Robertson cousin.....Ian (Robertson) Bridle

LOL...Thanks Ian ( Cuz) ....the more I'm getting into Militaria collecting, the more contacts I'm making...plus, my job driving a waste tanker does help. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, val said:

@Norrie - just awesome compass!

Seems to be Verners Pattern VII compass.

http://www.compasscollector.com/article_page_5.htm

Thankyou @Val....Think its a MkV111 Verners...I must admit tho, I've been extremely lucky with my purchases in the last couple of years...:)

In fact, this evening, I just bought a Mk11 cammo ( Home Guard, 3 holes) helmet with gas mask satchel and WW2 era army shirt for £8 plus post...I paid what the seller asked for too...:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK Norrie,

A few days have past..WE want to see the next treasure you find....Can't believe how lucky you are Cuz..But very good luck to you.

SHOW US........Best to you....IanB/ Desert Rat

• Like 1

On 06/12/2018 at 18:21, Desert Rat said:

OK Norrie,

A few days have past..WE want to see the next treasure you find....Can't believe how lucky you are Cuz..But very good luck to you.

SHOW US........Best to you....IanB/ Desert Rat

LOL...I do know, I have been extremely lucky with some of my finds...:) 

This week, I bought for the massive price of £2.50, an original photograph of a Gladiator Bi Plane, reason being, I had seen the remains of "Faith" I think it is, in the Malta Museum...and wanted a pic of the same type, so, anyway, bought it, and only this evening, after a wee bit research online, find out its an original official photo of the prototype of the aircraft, maybe not very valuable...but, gold to me........:)

gladiator.jpg

gladiator2.jpg

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/k5200/

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 1

Oh, And winging its way to me now is an RAF 1943 dated, Bush Hat, along with a WW2 dated Pilots kneeboard with maps, plus the satchel for holding same,...once belonged to a pilot based in India during the war...should be here on Thursday... Cost?? £15 for both...just what the seller asked for, so sent him £25...:)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Superb Norrie,

I dont know how you do it, dont ever seem to come my way, but very good luck to you, fantastic image and thanks for showing us.

Looking forward to seeing your next - Super Buy!

Very Best to you.....Ian

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 21:31, Desert Rat said:

Superb Norrie,

I dont know how you do it, dont ever seem to come my way, but very good luck to you, fantastic image and thanks for showing us.

Looking forward to seeing your next - Super Buy!

Very Best to you.....Ian

The items just arrived this afternoon Ian...The hat is gorgeous, dated 1942, the Pilots Plotter is from the Cold War Era....seemingly, worn on the leg of a Fighter Interceptor aircraft Pilot..be it a Hunter or EE Lightning.....its in amazing condition...the seller chucked in a few WW2 Dated  East Asia Command Phoenix magazines as well...he says they came with the RAF Bush hat...from someone who served in India during WW2....:) Not a bad buy for just over £20 inc postage...:)

20181212_165406.jpg

20181212_165420.jpg

20181212_165652.jpg

20181212_165711.jpg

20181212_165752.jpg

20181212_170128.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Done Norrie....Superb, Fantastic Items.....Lucky Man!

Thanks for showing us, but I love the (bush) hat...Lovely original condition

Hope all is well....Best to you & your family

Desert Rat...Ian

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got another wee lot, a fiver off the Bay...listed badly and rubbish pics..IMHO, another house clearance lot... paybook,release papers, passes etc, plus dozens of photos, ( only some shown)  and the original owners medal ribbons, incl the 1st army bar for the Africa Star...... relating  to a Sapper's service with the Royal Engineers during WW2, From Africa, up through Italy, to Europe....what possesses folks to let stuff like this go, surely the chap had family, their are pics of his kids in amongst the dozens of pics in this lot......The medals are ones I had spare, added to his own ribbons, still need to buy another Africa Star tho...:)

20181224_163641.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bloody Hell Norrie,

What a magnificent find...truly remarkable...you Lucky B...(well deserved to you ) 

Sometimes I wonder if my Dad ever met any of these soldiers in the bars in Cairo when he was on leave, or on the battlefield?...That I will never know!

Superb Norrie.....Many Grateful Thanks for showing us these very memorable items (Why would anyone throw these away????????----It's terrible to do that after all they suffered and went through!

Have a Great Festive Season ...to you and your family...Ian/ Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Like 1

Wishing You and Your Family a Great New Year......Safe and Peaceful.

KEEP FINDING AND KEEP COLLECTING

Very Best Wishes ....SCOTLAND FOREVER..!!!

Ian/ Desert Rat

• Like 1