val

Enigma on auction

val

Desert Rat

Hello Val,

Thanks for the  link...WOW!....would I love to have one of these, but at that price (which are so, so very rare....I can't manage it at all)

Best to you....Desert Rat/ Ian

val

Little story involving Enigma while you gentlemen head to Sotheby's :)

http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/m4project.htm

Desert Rat

Great Val and very informative,

Many Thanks...Desert Rat

Waffenamt
Staff

Wow!!!

Ive a pal who makes scale repro ones

val

Some war time photos using Enigma.

Fourth photo, what's on the table next to Enigma? Battery box?

https://www.cryptomuseum.com/crypto/enigma/photo.htm

tornfuté

Hello due to very high price start i guess none of those machines were sold

Desert Rat

Hello to the experts out there,

What would the price be for a complete original Enigma machine?

What about buying rotors etc and other parts.....I have contact in Eastern Europe who does sell (original) rotors for this?

I appreciate you comments.

Best to you....Desert Rat

Funksammler

A lot not right about this machine, to start with the case looks fake to me. Other late war "bac" machines seem to have been issued in the Luftwaffe style boxes. They also do not feature the rotor cover. Even the serial number plate is not typical of other "bac" machines and probably a fake. The description at least states that the cabling on the interconnection cables are non original, but they stay silent about the more serious inconsistencies. To me it is a very poor restoration. The T1 key must make it worth it though 😉

A lot of surviving enigma's were collected by MI6 and the CIA immediately after the war, refurbished, renumbered and sold to "friendly" governments as state of the art cypher equipment (obviously without telling them that the US and GB could break the cypher routinely; this is one of the reasons why the Bletchley secret remained a secret for so long, the enigma codes were being cracked long after the war). Some of these ex CIA/MI6 machines came on the market 15-20 years ago and have now been re-fitted with faked "original" German tag plates, and I suspect the machine on offer in the auction is one of these.

Add to that that due to high prices the faking of complete enigma machines and parts is increasing by the day. Most of these fakes can easily be spotted if you know what to look for, but for the uninitiated it is becoming a bit of a minefield. Completely original enigma will be difficult to find; with original I mean originally numbered, with all five matching numbered wheels etc.

Mind you, Enigmas are actually not as rare as you think, there must still be many hundreds out there, they are just overpriced because they have become a millionaire's plaything.

Desert Rat

Hello Funks,

Many thanks for your brilliant write up about these machines, as I thought they were well in excess of £25, 000 to buy (as original - or more?)

Grateful Thanks....Cordialment....Desert Rat

Vive La France....Vive La Maquis...!!!