Overloon Museum,Netherlands

Waffenamt

• Major General

I cannot say enough just what a fantastic museum this is.

Superb ammo collection right through to tanks ,planes etc from ww2 to the Cold War

Im lucky enough to go now and again and work on the collection of munitions that belong to my good pal Ben Junier.

Ive spent many happy hours grafting in the huge basement not shown to the public.

A glimpse of behind the scenes was given in the series Combat Dealers when Bruce met Ben to trade up items.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overloon_War_Museum

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Guest Fred Karno's Army
1 hour ago, Waffenamt said:

I cannot say enough just what a fantastic museum this is.

Superb ammo collection right through to tanks ,planes etc from ww2 to the Cold War

Im lucky enough to go now and again and work on the collection of munitions that belong to my good pal Ben Junier.

Ive spent many happy hours grafting in the huge basement not shown to the public.

A glimpse of behind the scenes was given in the series Combat Dealers when Bruce met Ben to trade up items.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overloon_War_Museum

Visited this museum in 89 when the wall came down going through Holland to the east.It was amazing,stuff just sat in the woods,I remember a B25 and a Sherman which I believe was still in it's original wartime British paint.

Indeed a very nice and big museum! Heard a couple of weeks ago that they are removing al the items and vehicle that are made post May 1945. And there is a small museum called, Achterhoeks Museum 1940-1945 Hengelo, that will ship their collection to Overloon. They got some very nice items too.

By the way! Every year they organise an Event called Militrack (I'am sure you heard of it). Make sure you visit this event. http://www.militracks.nl/en/

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Hi Erwin,ive heard the same about them shipping out post war stuff,but they do have a great cold war collection?

Im afraid i never have time for the Mili-tracks show. :(

Went there with Waffy a few years back,, great place.. some piccs on the display ,,  there one special display there and in the pic's below,, can anyone spot it and comment on it ??

PA250076.JPG

PA250078.JPG

PA250079.JPG

PA250080.JPG

PA250084.JPG

PA250093.JPG

PA250004.JPG

PA250020.JPG

PA250021.JPG

PA250023.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

Tall guy dwarfed by that huuuuuuge vehicle!;)

Hello There,

Looking at the images and your question.....I can only see the sign "Minen"...with a crash hat on?????   Is it right or do I need another drink quick???

Best to you..IanB

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Museum when almost bankrupt in the early 90's.
The vehicles outside were rsuting away and nothing was done to prevent that.

Mid 90's or the end of the 90's they got a huge private donation from several millions and they started to upgrade with buildings and getting the vehicles inside.

The also did a joint venture in between 2000-2005 ( I believe it was) with the Marshal museum that moved their collection to Overloon.

Now a days the museum owns a beautiful collection of rare vehicles that are most allied vehicles.
The Sherman with the turret out of place is a left over from the Overloon Battle field and is now inside.
Also a panther that was knocked out in the same battle is now inside.

Were can you find 2....yes 2....dragon wagons? 
Well....Overloon has them, as also a sherman flail tank, several brands of US wreckers, a British Conger, a Valentine Bridgelayer, etc.
Worth while the visit for sure and now a days they do a lot to keep the museum interesting, so that you want to visit again and again!

• Upvote 3

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 15:30, Waffenamt said:

Tall guy dwarfed by that huuuuuuge vehicle!;)

Nope.. remember the room in last picc? 

It was a local collectors room  he may have had ties with the museum.  When he passed away the room was re created in the museum and all his items relocated there  as a tribute to the guy,  it is exactly as it was in his house when he lived there.

Must be very moving for the family to see this when they visit.

• 1 year later...
  • Major General

Back there first week of November :)  Cant wait!!!