UPDATE: WW1 German M16 shell restoration

Afrikakorpsrat64

Well here is the finished Helmet. As I mentioned in my previous posting, when I received this helmet, someone, sadly had stripped all the outside paint of of it, but the inside was left all original. So all I did was restore the outside and added a liner(stained with coffee, smells lovely!😜) and a chin strap (https://pflco.com/). I found the paint at 1944 militaria, they have some great matches there for paint for many helmets. Im happy with the results. I may do a wee bit more weathering at some point, but looks great in the display.

17931016_20181121_1519331.jpg.e2b625eb9ecc682a1718092030bcae9e.jpg

20181221_073623.jpg

20181221_073634.jpg

20181221_073647.jpg

20181221_073706.jpg

20181221_073723.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

Glad all is well, great images and a fantastic job on the helmet...Superb!

Is that the original name etc inside the lid...?

Wishing you & your family a Great Festive Season....Best Wishes

Ian/ Desert Rat

WW1 Cammo helmet, taken off a dead German soldier by a French soldier, taken home as a souvenir, then given to a member of the Hit/ Youth to wear either friend or family member,  then he painted the diamond emblem on the front with the white Swaz, found in a French Brocante and bought by me...then ebastards banned me for 30 days for trying to sell it, so can't sell it on there!!!

56b8c464-d43f-4309-ab88-59988ded0689.jpg

149daaf9-5e95-4c16-878c-1448b107c6ed.jpg

DSC_0003.JPG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Hello Tony,

Glad all is well, great images and a fantastic job on the helmet...Superb!

Is that the original name etc inside the lid...?

Wishing you & your family a Great Festive Season....Best Wishes

Ian/ Desert Rat

WW1 Cammo helmet, taken off a dead German soldier by a French soldier, taken home as a souvenir, then given to a member of the Hit/ Youth to wear either friend or family member,  then he painted the diamond emblem on the front with the white Swaz, found in a French Brocante and bought by me...then ebastards banned me for 30 days for trying to sell it, so can't sell it on there!!!

56b8c464-d43f-4309-ab88-59988ded0689.jpg

149daaf9-5e95-4c16-878c-1448b107c6ed.jpg

DSC_0003.JPG

Thats a really interesting helmet Ian/ @Desert Rat, what are you asking on it? 

Cheers my friend and Merry Christmas.

Tony/ @Afrikakorpsrat64

• Thanks 1

Ian/ @Desert Rat, Yes the paint and writing inside is all original, even has the guys name and address(The vet that sent it home to the US) on the back skirt.

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony,

Well I have a mate that wants to pay £400 ( I hope) but if he dosent buy it...Please make me an offer.

I need to get some money just had a £388 electricity bill.

Very Best to you..Have a Great Festive Season and Hugs to All you family from me.

• Upvote 1

WOW!!!...to have that helmet with the original name etc is truly a collectors item.....Fantastic!!

Keep it for your collection...as these helmets will be worth a fortune in years to come.

Very Best to You....Ian

• Upvote 1

On 21/12/2018 at 11:35, Desert Rat said:

Hello Tony,

Well I have a mate that wants to pay £400 ( I hope) but if he dosent buy it...Please make me an offer.

I need to get some money just had a £388 electricity bill.

Very Best to you..Have a Great Festive Season and Hugs to All you family from me.

PS....Are you interested in the Sten Gun?...WW1 Original Gas mask etc what I have for sale but cannot sell on ebay....!!!

Sadly no $$$ Wish I could though.

• Thanks 1

Thanks anyway Tony,

Just trying to get money in as we all do for the (lovely) bills we have to pay!!

Best to you and Have a Great Festive Season with All Your Family.

Ian

Ian, If I were you I,d sell it to the mate who,s willing to pay £400 for it,the helmet has no true provenance and the story is just that, a story. To be honest you would be lucky to get £250 for it,  theres no liner, its rusty inside ,Its WW1, the helmet,s been messed with and no real evidence that it was a Hitler Youth who changed the look, also the French soldier who took it ???, gave it to a Hitler Youth member, when, in  WW2,???  I cant see any French soldier , who hated the SS and Hitler Youth, even being associated with an HJ

• Thanks 1

Hello Dave,

Hope you are well, thanks for the advice, it is a michmash of a story I was told and does seem confusing!

I will sell it for what I can get at least get my money back.

Best wishes for the festive season , have a good one

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Dave,

I hope you had a good Xmas and New Year...seems like months ago now.

Anyway just to let you know I have sold the Hit/ Jug helmet for £400 so a good profit for me....Thanks for your advice.

Wishing you and all your family.... The Very Best Wishes for 2019

Desert Rat/ Ian

Hello Tony,

Very Best Wishes for 2019 to You  and Your Family.

I hope all is well with you, have you finished the helmet now? Lets have a look at it please!

Sold the Hit/ Jugend helmet for £400...so a good profit

Let us know how you are and time to see more of your great collection

Best to you...Ian/ Desert Rat.

Hello Tony,

Very pleased to say ...you are top of the  - Topics- with your helmet.....YYYYYEEEEEEHHHH