FmSt „Habicht“ says hallo!

Fritze Knieriemen

Hi folks and thanks for letting me in! 

Some of you may know me already - the „Fernmeldefritze“ from Germany 😉🏼

Collector, Reenactor and history guide when you come to Hürtgenwald area... 

Once active, I served in the 8th GebDiv of the Bundeswehr back in the 80th... 

Compared to many others active here, my collection is still to be considered as „small“ - if you want, I‘ve tried to keep it in the range of being able to set it up as a radio station during shows and events...

Stay tuned for pictures and stories!

Cheers Fritze

4C035B27-9980-4EC7-9F52-7376BAA728F5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Guten Abend Fritze,

Wilkommen nacht MCN..Ich Spreche ein Bission?

Thanks for the image, a superb looking radio set.

We look forward to more images from you on MCN.

Vielen Danke....Desert Rat

Hello Fritze,

It is My and MCN's pleasure and other members to welcome you. I went out with a lovely girl from Koln years ago and always took the trip through Belgium and Aachen, to Pulheim...Happy Days!!!!

I still miss the German food, it was superb, the parties, the people all welcomed me as a good friend, I met the Boss from Ford's Koln and many high up people from Koln, but always they welcomed me with great affection and kindness!

I wanted to visit the Hurtgen Forest some time ago as great battles were fought there, to detect and find some good War items...sadly I never got there only as far as Aachen then I returned to Luxembourg, but I wanted to visit the Krall? Trail and all the towns and villages along that route. I have a great book here about the battles in the Hurtgen....so much to see and find, maybe in 2019 I will visit the forest? I visited the Siegfried line with all the tank traps along a vast distance, very good to see, but I have lost the photo...aaaaaaarrghhhhhhh 

You write and speak perfect English...My German is not so good, but I send my Best Wishes to You & Your Family for a Safe and Peaceful 2019

Schuss?.....Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Well, let me know and I’ll take care for an unforgettable tour... incl. bunkers, dragonteeth trenches, foxholes and museum... plan at least two days!

Cologne is not far from there btw...

Pic shows the area close to hill 554 „Paustenbacher Höhe“

I used to work for a US based company - so please excuse my accent! 😉

2EAAC67F-E070-4F7A-B0E5-85700B805B3A.jpeg

Edited by Fritze Knieriemen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many, Many Thanks Fritze,

I appreciate you photo and you kindness in inviting me to the visit you. Yes the German people have always been very kind to me, and we have to try and overcome the horrors of the last war. To you, I am a fruendlich? and I sincerely Thankyou!

Very Best Wishes...Ian/ Desert Rat

2 hours ago, Fritze Knieriemen said:

Well, let me know and I’ll take care for an unforgettable tour... incl. bunkers, dragonteeth trenches, foxholes and museum... plan at least two days!

Sounds interesting...what options there are and how big the groups can be?

4 hours ago, Fritze Knieriemen said:

Stay tuned for pictures and stories!

BTW, @Fritze Knieriemen - no limits of pictures here so feel free to upload ALL the pictures

of Fernmeldestelle "Habicht" you have ;)

Hello Fritze,

Thank you for your message.I have replied via personal message. Have a nice glass of red wine for the New Year!!!

Best Wishes...Ian/ Desert Rat

A GLASS OF RED A DAY---KEEPS THE DOCTORS AWAY!!!.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

• Major General

Wilkommen Fritze! Good to see you here, I’ve enjoyed your treasure hunting videos too! Hope you enjoy your stay

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I browsed the forums and have to admit it was great reading to all extent!

As I’m still not that fit to document any of my new projects, refurbishing stuff, I rather stick with some pics of where the pieces see some daylight again - or like in this case the basement of an old manor house...

Theme: retreat in 44; somewhere in the region grand est in France 

34931470oh.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Two other pics... 

First one taken at the Maginotlinie Theme1940 

34933951td.jpeg

Second one taken in Danmark addressing also 1944 retreat in France

34933952tg.jpeg

Last picture was taken after a night march in heavy rain - really everything was soaking wet... and so the Radio Station became a drying room. 

Edited by Fritze Knieriemen
  • Thanks 2

Another display shot during one of the best events I've ever joined in the Ardennes... Theme: Runsted offensive, what else 😁

34934193sz.png

Me carrying the TornFuG - same event... Connection to Habicht was rather bad that day most likely due to weather conditions, but we managed to keep the communication up! ✌️

34934211mo.jpg

and last but not least for today another Maginot line event running wired and wireless comms in parallel... So it does not get boring having front line calling for a pizza etc.

34934457hc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello Fritze,

Thank you for the great images, and your and Vals expert knowledge!

Best to you...Desert Rat

• Thanks 1

Hello Fritze,

Great image of you in the snow carrying that radio...Looks so original just like the 101st during WW2. Here is an image of the woods of Foy, where the 101st/ 501 Para Reg was locked in battle with the enemy, if you get to these pine woods you can clearly see the foxholes they dug. I dug down about 2 feet and found 2 live grenades, glass ampoules of morphine and a complete set of rusted bullets in a mag for the M1 rifle (all live) as a memento of the 101st. 

Best wishes...Desert Rat/ Ian

IMGP3086.JPG

IMGP3087.JPG

• Thanks 1

😬 from where I walk through the snow towards Foy, it’s only a mile... 

The event was set up in and between the two towns of Recogne and Cobru - as I wrote before - it was one of the best events I’ve been.

• Like 1

This one in Denmark also gave us tons of possibilities.... 

clerks desk in HQ

34964597cs.jpeg

And “off duty” hanging out...

34964599ha.jpeg

and another one running around with the FuG. We did also a taktical that day using the Sprechtafel to encrypt our messages. 

After the action, one of the few US peers showed up in my radio station and asked me about my opinion of how many they’ve been, attempting our positions. Based on the ‘Spruch’ documents (noting every detail of transmission) my guess was at least 5 teams of min 2 US GI‘s.... he smiled at me and said that after their first attempt, the 2nd Jeep had to back of, so it was just him and his buddy in 1 Willy’s playing ‚hit and run‘... he also told me that he was army reconnaissance office with many years of practice 😁

34964598qh.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hello Fritze,

Thanks for the super images, although it was cold and snow I am sure you had a great time!

Is that you relaxing reading the newspaper..? Where's your cup of tea?

Best Wishes...Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text
  • Haha 1

Tea? Kaffee you mean 😉🏼

On the crate beneath the bed - you can’t see ...

• Like 1

Hello Fritze,

Yes I should have said Kaffee....as my Belgian friends always take the piss out of me when I drink tea.

Looks like a crate of super Belgian beer under the bed also???

Best to you......Ian

... you bet; always a few “liquids” grenades in my crate 😊 

• Like 1